rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Revolver Lanyards
Coll

On looking through my pistol identification book, I see some revolvers have a ring underneath the handgrip for a possible lanyard. Did the Imperial officers, as well as the Colonial Volunteers (officers and troopers) have lanyards attached to their revolvers 'in the field' during the AZW ?

I've noticed in a couple of images that they were used, but to what extent and by whom, I know not.

Thanks

Coll
Adrian Whiting

Coll,

I expect this was more a personal decision for the officers. The other ranks were issued white cord lanyards for clasp knives, and for revolvers where issued. Officers tended to privately purchase such items from military outfitters. Having fired revolvers on a lanyard and without, I can say that I definitely preferred to shoot without. Since officers seemed to have some leeway on Dress Regulations when on active service, I expect they too made personal choices.

Coll

Thanks Adrian

One of the images that I saw such an item used, was a depiction of survivors crossing at Fugitives' Drift, where an officer(?) on horseback literally has his revolver dangling from the lanyard, which itself is held in his mouth, his (now) free hand helping a fellow fugitive out of the water.

This made me wonder that although flap holsters seemed to be the most common type issued, mounted men armed with revolvers may also opt for a lanyard, just in case there was a possibility of losing or dropping the revolver while riding.

Thanks again

Coll
Sawubona

Coll,
Glad you've asked this one. Lanyard rings seem to be stereotypical of British revolvers at least until through "The Great War". Enough so that I quickly scan the endless tables of revolvers at gun shows and "key" on those with lanyard rings. Green cloth or leather? Brass or nickle clips? Anyone?
Coll

Lanyards, or at least the option of using them, appears to have continued on to semi-automatic pistols, including the Browning 9mm, which was, maybe still is, the chosen British military sidearm.

So the choice of using such in recent times still exists. How popular, or practical it may be nowadays, I know not.

Coll
Revolver Lanyards