rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Myer's Drift
Kenty

Just noted on this site that there is a book by Mark Hobson re the Myer's Drift debacle. Hadn't come across this previously so I have now ordered a copy from Caliver Books in Southend (the only place I can locate a copy).

Can anyone tell me if this is currently the only book to deal with the battle on Ntombe River as a stand alone action or whether there are indeed any more? I note that it is only 20 pages long, which although short is generally speaking longer than most books devote to this action (haven't read Zulu Vanquished yet which I understand does relay this battle in more detail than most).

I know there is only so much you can write about on this British reverse but I do wish more attention was given to it. If anyone has read NTOMBE: The Bloody Affair at Myer's Drift what was your view on this book?
Bill Cainan1

Kenty

As you say, there is a noticeable lack of publications devoted solely to this action. Mark Hobson has done a good job of piecing together details of the engagement and has produced an easy read.

If there is any criticism of this small booklet, it would be the lack of source detail and corresponding foot notes.

The SWB Museum at Brecon did have some copies - you might want to try there to see what price they are quoting.

In summary, a good read and I would recommend it to you.

Bill

Kenty

Only just picked this up so apologies for the delay.

Yes, as you say, there seems to be a distinct lack of material written about this small but brutal action. It is a battle which in my opinion has been overlooked for too long, after all it took place only a few weeks after Isandlwana in circumstances not too different, despite the furore that the earlier disaster caused. It seems that the lessons learned from earlier in the war do not seem to have been taken onboard. Once again, laziness, a lack of good reconnaisance, and an underestimation of the enemy led to defeat.

Last year I was able to revisit the site of the battle. It is a little off the beaten track and good map-reading and local knowledge is needed to find the spot, but it is well worth the effort. The surrounding countryside is wild and beautiful.

More awareness and an increase in visitors to the battlefield are sorely needed, otherwise I fear that Ntombe will be forgotten even more.

Mark Hobson
Kenty

Mark Hobson wrote:
Kenty

Only just picked this up so apologies for the delay.

Yes, as you say, there seems to be a distinct lack of material written about this small but brutal action. It is a battle which in my opinion has been overlooked for too long, after all it took place only a few weeks after Isandlwana in circumstances not too different, despite the furore that the earlier disaster caused. It seems that the lessons learned from earlier in the war do not seem to have been taken onboard. Once again, laziness, a lack of good reconnaisance, and an underestimation of the enemy led to defeat.

Last year I was able to revisit the site of the battle. It is a little off the beaten track and good map-reading and local knowledge is needed to find the spot, but it is well worth the effort. The surrounding countryside is wild and beautiful.

More awareness and an increase in visitors to the battlefield are sorely needed, otherwise I fear that Ntombe will be forgotten even more.

Mark Hobson

Hello Mark, thank you for responding.

Your work has arrived safely and is next on my list to read after I finish Norris-Newman's book.

I actually went to the battlefields last year with Holts and although we didn't spend long at Myer's Drift it was actually my favourite (after Isandlwana) due in no small way to its remoteness. We had lunch at Luneburg, paid our respects to Moriarty and co and then went to the river. The gravesight was unfortunately in quite a bad state and I agree that out of all the sights I went to Ntombe looks in the gravest danger (no pun intended) of being lost.

I also wrote to Simon Smith who has painted two very good AZW pictures, one of RD and the other of Charlie Pope's Company at Isandlwana and I asked if he had thought about depicting the Ntombe action and he has, so fingers crossed we will see one in the future.

You've certainly done your bit to keep Ntombe alive and you have my backing.

Kind regards

Kenty
Mark Hobson

Kenty

I believe that Jason Askew is also working on a painting depicting the battle, amoungst several new Zulu War paintings he is currently working on. I guess that means more wall-space taken up!

Mark
Kenty

Yep, sure will.

I've actually bought a couple of prints recently from the Illustrated London News site so I am fast running out of space. Have you bought from their site at all, they're very good?

I've sent them an email re the famous Ntombe sketch which fronted their 10 May 1879 edition because it seems you can't yet buy a print of this online. Will let you know if interested although I suspect you may already have a copy from somewhere.

Kenty
GlennWade

Hi all,

I saw Jason's painting along with several other new ones in 2004 at the 'Redcoats and Zulus' weekend in Woolwich, but have heard no more about the prints. It was very, very good I must say.

By the way Kenty, the sketch of the 80th at Ntombe is available framed from this very site!

Support the cause!

Cheers

Glenn

Site Admin