rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
80th regiment uniform/diorama
Kenty

Hello again.

I know that the 80th regiment's collar facing was yellow but can someone confirm that the cuff facing was also yellow or was it red? I always thought both collar and cuffs were yellow but I saw the 80th's version of the Diehards and the cuffs were red on their uniforms. I want to create a diorama of Myer's Drift hence why I need to know for sure.

If there are any other miniature enthusiasts can you recommend anywhere where I can buy wagons that would suit 25-30mm models, I already have the bell tents.

Kenty
scarletto7

redoubt miniatures for wagons
Kenty

Thank you. You're all very kind on here.
scarletto7

We are Confused I must be doing something wrong Very Happy Very Happy
If your stuck for wagons ill see if i have any kits left, I've about 200 unpainted figures (28mm) so might have some stuff knocking about
Coll

Kenty

If you're really, really stuck for wagons in metal, why not try plastic ?

I recall seeing an ACW(?) Ambulance and Ammunition Wagon set (1 of each) from IMEX, which might suit or able to be altered to look more like wagons from the AZW campaign, although not as the larger Colonial ox wagons, more the General Service wagon (?)

Not sure it is any help, but may be an option to consider.

Coll
scarletto7

Coll, the imex ones fit 20mm figures better, 25/mm or 28mm need bigger, I'm presuming Kentys doing 28mm though?
Kenty

I am indeed. I use the Black Tree Design figures, which to my mind are the best AZW castings around (I have bought Redoubt, Old Glory and various others previously). They're so very detailed.

However, I will have trouble trying to depict the sheer confusion of the action because it is not easy to find half dressed British figures.
scarletto7

Redoubt do men in shirt sleeves if i remember, black tree have the helmets wrong, they show the stitching. I must look through my figures
Coll

I was sure 1/72 scale was nearer to 25mm than 20mm. Rolling Eyes

Anyway, good luck with the project Kenty. Smile

Coll
scarletto7

Coll, their is a difference mainly in scales due to America and europe, same goes with railway scales, i think HO scale in America is more 00 scale over here, scale in model figures has though never been standardised, plastics are 20mm , 1/76th is nearer 25mm while 20mm is nearer 1/72
Rob Dumelow

I can vouch for the quality of the Redoubt Wagons , they are very nice and paint up well. They seem to fit in with the scale (28-30mm) very well indeed. The large boer style wagon is code ZX43 and I'm fairly sure they do a smaller one as well but you may have to check it up. I ahve two of the wagons plus a resin water cart of an unknown make for use in my Rorke's Drift Re-fight. Using Black Tree Designs figures, which I prefer to Redoubt, though I am having difficulty finidng a source of wounded soldiers (to various degrees, lying down in bed, with bandages etc) so I may have to succomb and buy a few Redoubt miniatures to fill the gaps.

RE: Shirtsleeves etc.

Having Checked A Few Websites:

Baker Company
They do some wounded Brits which may suit but can't see a lot from the picture.

Baker Company Zulu War

Does anyone have any samples of these? If so is the size and quality comparable to Black Tree?

Old Glory UK

They do some infantry in light equipment who may be OK but they have no pictures. Also from memory they are shorter than BTD and not as cleanly cast but may be OK.

Old Glory British

Wargames Foundry

They do some shirtsleeved infantry but only in one pose, with a helmet. Being some of teh first sculpts from Michael and Alan Perry they are a true 25mm size and will not fit in with BTD 28-30mm scale, though they are very nice castings.

Foundry Brits

Does anyone have any other ideas for infantry in shirtsleeves etc? Maybe a niche in the market for any budding sculptor?!

PS: I agree with Scarletto7, I'm not a fan of the exterior stitching on the helmets but they don't look too bad when painted up and I can abide the somewhat poor research in this area in exchange for the superb sculpts.
Neil Aspinshaw

The 80th foreign service uniform was yellow facings to collar, but plain to cuff, if you look at the photo of our motley crew of the 80th reg on the news pages of the site you will see us in the foreign service kit.