rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Rorke's Drift
scarletto7

For those wargamers/diorama makers have a look at this website
http://www.sswg.org

then go into gallery, the 28mm Rorke's Drift they did on a 12 by 8 table is fantastic, using redoubt minatures, browsing the gallery, not only do they show how they amde the table, but also you can follow the battle picture by picture
Rob Dumelow

Ah yes I saw this a while back on a wargames site, but quickly forgot about it. Thanks for bringing it up again Scarletto.

There's a bit of discussion and a few more picture links on it here:

http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?I'd=73309

If I had known there'd been such a fabulous Rorke's Drift game on I might have been tempted to make the journey down to London for the show (SALUTE 2006), but it's just too far away (and expensive) for me to make it usually.
scarletto7

yeah I've seen that page, their site though makes my own attempts feeble Very Happy is you dad by the way Andy??

I've loads of 28mm figues i was going to use, but I've decided on 200mm cheaper by far, conversions make it more interesting too
Rob Dumelow

is you dad by the way Andy??

Yes he is, and a good supplier of 28mm zulus for me!

their site though makes my own attempts feeble

Yeah my own Rorke's Drift collection so far is nothing compared to that. I decided on Black Tree's 28mm as I could get hold of them easily and I already had the Redoubt Storehouse which dad gave me. I have part-constructed the hospital building (a little on the small side compared to the storehouse's thick resin walls and hefty construction but it'll do for what I need) and painted around 80 zulus (InDlondo and UThulwana impis) and a dozen or so Brits. Still a long way to go.

I never thought of 20mm, that might have been a better scale (get more figues on table, cost etc) for me, but i'll stick to my 28mm for now. What figures are you using?
scarletto7

Rob, lol do i get a discount for knowing you Very Happy I'm using 20mm newline which fit in well with esci and call to arms. For mounted troops I'm using Boer war Lancers with conversions, confederates for FLH, the cheapness means i can have big armies, for the price of a small 28mm force

If you need anymore brits and Zulus I've a load (redoubts Isandhlwana brits and Zulu range) with a few mods,
Rob Dumelow

I'm afraid not! Dad recently sold all his 20mm plastic Zulus and Brits to someone via mail order so we're all out of them at the moment.

I have too much stuff to paint at the moment before I can think about buying anymore. Mum won't let anymore unpainted lead into the house until I finish what I still have left to paint (100ish zulus still waiting)!
baztaylor

Rob,

Your dad has supplied me with a load of 15mm Zulu figures - he obviously has a lot to answer for! Wink

Cheers

Barry
Rob Dumelow

Glad to hear it Barry!

Suppose i'd better get back to painting my zulus again...
Rorke's Drift