rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Captain William Wheaton Chard
Garen

Hello there -

Would anyone have any information on John Chard's brother, William Wheaton Chard of the 7th Fusiliers, particularly his birth and death places/dates and marriage details?

Here is what I have already from my own sources (1885 Army list, Shadbolt Afghan Campaigns, Afghan war medal roll) and what I could find on the web (the family info):

-------------------

7th Fusiliers, Ensign Dec 1859, Lieutenant Dec 1862. Northwest Frontier 1863, forcing of Umbeyla Pass (medal with clasp). Captain Oct 1871. Afghan war, lead an attacking party at Deh Khoja 16 Aug 1880. Medal with clasp for Kandahar.

Family:
Parents: Dr William Wheaton Chard (1818-1873) and Jane Brimacombe (1814-1885). Brothers: John Rouse Merlot Chard RE (1847-1897, won VC at Rorke's Drift, Zulu War 1879), Rev Charles Edward Chard (Hon. Chaplain to 4th Yeomanry Brigade, Taunton, 1894).

-------------------

I am compiling his entry for the Afghan War database.

Many thanks indeed, all best -
Garen.

You need to look at the officers' statement of service in the National Archives - these will be by regiment - in WO76. Also you need to go to a large reference library which subscribes to 'The Times' on-line and then you use the site search facility - for death notices/obituary. 'Who was who' is a good starter for the main players in the campaign, but that only starts with deaths after 1897.

What have you on Lt Col The Hon GPH Villiers, Gren Gds - who served in both campaigns.

Garen

Thank you for the advice, Martin, much appreciated - all stuff I'm aware of, just wondered if anyone here had some info at hand.

I had a Times account up until a couple of months ago and have many officers waiting to be added, but did not look for William Chard at the time. I got to him just today after following the story of 2nd-Lt. F P Wood who was mortally wounded at Deh Khoja, and under Chard's command, so was researching the names mentioned. Just posted here on a whim...

Can I get back to you on Villiers? I'll see what I can gather on him from my end of things. The officers I currently have in the database that served in both the Zulu and Afghan campaigns are:

William de la Poer Beresford (9th Lancers)
Bindon Blood (RE)
Henry Thomas Curling (G/3 RA) and
Charles Wyndham Murray (61st)

My thanks again, back soon -
Garen.

Last edited by Garen on Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:44 am; edited 1 time in total

Hello Martin,

Here's what I have on Colonel Villiers - perhaps nothing new to you...

Colonel George Patrick Hyde Villiers, Grenadier Guards
b. 27 Sep 1847 d. 10 Jan 1892
Leiutenant Mar 1867, Captain Feb 1870, Lt.-Colonel Sep 1877. Afghan war served in first campaign as one of Roberts' two Orderly Officers and in general charge of the outposts of the Kuram Valley Field Force, present at the Peiwar Kotal (mentioned in despatches). 1879 Zulu War. Colonel Oct 1881. c.1885 Military Attach� Berlin. CB, CMG. Buried Vicarage Road Cemetery, Watford, Hertfordshire.
Parents: George William Frederick Villiers, 4th Earl of Clarendon and Lady Katherine Grimston. Married Louisa Mary Maquay (1884). Children: George John Theodore Hyde (1891-1942), Katherine Alice (1885-1944), Constance Barbara (1886-1922), Beryl Emily Edith (1888-1889). Cousin to Lady Lytton.

I'm sure he must be mentioned somewhere in Colquhoun's 'With the Kurram Field Force 1878-79' but with no index, a quick scan of some key pages hasn't found him.

Briefly, are you able to advise me of his role in the Zulu war?

My thanks -
Garen.

Dear Garen,

This is as far as got using my own archives. Need to go to Kew, for him and few others:

VILLIERS, The Honourable George Patrick Hyde Villiers, Lieutenant Colonel (1847-dates) Grenadier Guards Only present during the last stages of the Anglo-Zulu campaign. He came to South Africa in May 1879 having served in Afghan campaign where he was present at assault on Peiwar Kotal. In Zululand, he was involved in the search for the Zulu King. Sir Garnet Wolseley appointed him special commissioner to Prince Hamu who has defected to the British. He also served with Baker Russell (qv) in Northern Zululand clearing up the last stage of opposition. George Villiers was gazetted as an Ensign into the Grenadier Guards in 1867. He served as Aide-de-Camp to GOC Home District (1873-1875) and Viceroy of India (1877-1878). After the campaign he was Military Attach� first in Berlin (1880-1881) and then St Petersburg and finally Paris.

You have filled in some gaps - thank you.

GOC Home District was then the same as GOC London District today. And was probably Major General His Highness Prince Edward Saxe-Weimar CB - also a Grenadier Guardsman.

Garen

Thank you very much for your help, Martin, much appreciated.

Just an update...

William Wheaton Chard (Times obit. 17 Sep 1890)
b.24 Dec 1841
d.12 Sep 1890, Anderton, Cornwall
Major 1881, Lt.-Col. Sep 1885.

and some more on George Villiers (Times obit. 11 Jan 1892)
1880: Military Attach� in St. Petersburg
1881: same in Berlin
1882-1889: same in Paris
1886: CMG
1891: CB

Dear Garen,

Yes, I found the Times - a useful resource and was going to come back to you on Villiers and sequence of Attache appointments. It did mention in the Times that he commanded 1st Grenadier Gds - have you found any thing on this.

I see that Waller Ashe produced books both on AZW and Afghan campaign some later background on him has eluded me for the present.

Garen

Sorry, Martin, nothing on Grenadier Guards.

On Waller Ashe's Afghan War book there was a fair amount of controversy. Indeed, Lepel Griffin, the political officer at Kabul, was very critical of Ashe's facts, and his claims of an officer(s) who fought at both Ahmed Khel and Maiwand seem highly improbable.