rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
LORD GIFFORD VC .
Sapper Mason

Sorry i have been away for a long time, lost my father and Uncle recently with other problems to contend with.

My question concerns the time spent in the 24th of one Lord EDRIC FREDERICK GIFFORD VC, whose remains lie in BOSHAM in Hants. He won his VC in the ASHANTI wars of 1873 -74. I am led to believe he at some point served in the 24th posibly in the ZULU WAR? If anyone can help me on this i would be greatful, i presume his service papers will be at Kew? Anyone know the reference number at all? Thank you, Graham.
John Young

Graham,

Lord Gifford was serving with the 24th Regt. at the time of his Victoria Cross in February 1874.

He entered the Army as an Ensign on 17th April, 1869, by purchase. He became a Lieutenant in the 63rd (West Suffolk) Regt. on 30th November, 1870, again by purchase. In 1873 he exchanged to the 24th. Served against the Asante, 1873-1874, (medal and clasp), received the V.C. for gallantry, especially at Becquah, 1st February, 1874. Promoted to the rank of Captain 1st April, 1874. Exchanged to the 57th (West Middlesex) Regt., in 1876. Served on the Staff of Sir Garnet Wolseley, in Natal & Cyprus.

Arrived in South Africa on 2nd April, 1879 with two companies of the 57th. Later served with the 2nd Squadron, Mounted Infantry, and finally as an A.D.C. to Wolseley. Involved in the search for King Cetshwayo. Brevet-Major 1880. He then joined the Colonial Office, holding roles in West Australia & Gibraltar.

And I don't know the reference number for his papers.

My condolences for your losses.

John Y.
LORD GIFFORD VC .