rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Cartridge I'd help requested
The Double D

Location: Staying Umhlanga for 2 to 5 years in route to Cut Bank, Montana
This cartridge is a battlefield pick up from Isandlwana. It appears to be a linen or paper covered brass foil wrapped 577 Boxer head possilby 577/450 Martini. 577/450 Martini cartridges were not paper or linen wrapped...or were they?

This cartridge is not a paper Snider. The paper Snider did not have brass foil under the paper. The paper or linen in this cartridge is shorter than a Snider and all cartridges I saw were this same length of paper and brass. The brass foil under the paper is as long as a Martini cartridge.

Does anyone have any information on what these cartridges are or where they came from or who might have used them? It seems there were a good number of them found on Isandlwana and Rorke's Drift battlefields, or so I have been told.

DD

DD,

Quite a lot of Snider ball cartridge patterns were made of coiled sheet brass with either white or brown paper stuck around the outside of them.

If you are certain the outer layer in your picture is linen or paper (its just that it looks as though it could be brass in the picture) then it may be one of these pattern cartridge cases. I can send you further details of them if that would help.

The Double D

Location: Staying Umhlanga for 2 to 5 years in route to Cut Bank, Montana
I would very much like to have the information you have on paper covered foil Snider cases, as I don't have much on Snider and nothing on the cartridge you describe.

However, the cartridge in question is not a Snider, it is to long.

In the picture you can see two of the linen or paper covered battlefield pick up shells next to a sample 577/450 and a sample paper Snider. The pick up's are obviously longer than the Snider and appear to be the same length as the Martini round. Also the paper or linen covering is uiniform in lenth and shorter than a Snider

In my initial post I said these were found at Isandlwana, that is incorrect. They were found at Rorke's Drift.