rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Lord Chelmsford and the Zulu War by Archibald Forbes
Michael Boyle

While trolling the archives of my local paper (or rather it's ancestor) I came across a book sale listing for the above. The issue's date was 18 March 1880. I tried a few internet searches and although almost every other Forbes book was forthcoming I was unable to trace this one. I have read at least part of an editorial by Forbes that Lord C felt compelled to respond to so I can perhaps surmise the tone but I was wondering if anyone could give me some idea as to it's content and veracity.

Thanks

Michael
Keith Smith

Michael

The work you mentioned is actually an article from The Nineteenth Century magazine for February 1880 (vol. 7). It can also be found in Archives of South Africa: Zululand, vol. 5. I have added more detail in a private email to you.

The article is very well argued and is extremely difficult to refute in detail; after all, Forbes was there for the second invasion (but not the first).

KIS
Michael Boyle

Keith

I didn't think I could have missed so obvious a book title but as Forbes seemed to put together books on most of his experiences I couldn't rule it out either. It would seem then that advert from March 1880 in an obscure backwater county newspaper would have been for just a pamphlet reproducing a month-old magazine article. A week ago that would have amazed me but having availed myself the services of the new Google Archived News service what really amazes me is how much press the A-ZW garnered here in the States, even in the newspapers of the then territories out west. My next project will be to go to Google UK and see how much press LBH garnered there!

A warning for those interested in the new service - most of it is pay-per-view with teaser lead-ins or OCR rendered pages that make you wonder if you're reading coded war time transcripts! There are however interesting tid-bits like a story on a then (1918) serving British Colonel who drowned in a river while protraying Lord Chelmsford in a film production and in San Francisco a certain "Francis Brant, avers that be was formerly a lieutenant in her majesty's service, and that he won the Victoria [Cross] for bravery during the ZULU WAR" and went on to marry an African Princess here in order to secure mineral rights in her country. ( I believe I've already mentioned how we love a good yarn over here!)

By the way - wasn't Forbes responsible for the Ulundi "Fire Faster..." quote of Lord C?

Thanks

Michael
Lord Chelmsford and the Zulu War by Archibald Forbes