rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
" Maori " Browne
Sapper Mason

Very Happy , Hello , today i am asking for information on one "Maori Browne " who was in charge during the Zulu War of the 1 / NNC , i had till recently got him mixed up with Edward Stevenson Browne VC.

In an article dated Jan 1982 Maori Browne comes across in a very bad way , treating his men in less than favourable ways . I believe he finished his days in Jamaica having married and " stole " a fortune out of his wife .

He seems to have won favour with Chelmsford but gave himself the rank of Colonel and awarded himself the New Zealand campaign medal to which he was not entitled . Is there any further information known on this character ? , i wonder what he fed Chelmsford in incorrect facts about himself ? . Any data would be welcome , thank you , Graham .
Michael Boyle

Graham

George Hamilton- Browne (hyphenated later in his life) was quite the colourful character, you can read a New Zealand account of his life at - http://www.dnzb.govt.nz/dnzb/default.asp?Find_Quick.asp?PersonEssay=2H10 .

If you can find a copy of "Camp Fire Yarns of the Lost Legion by HAMILTON-BROWNE, G. (COL.)" you can read his take (I haven't managed to yet).

Best

Michael
Peter Ewart

Graham

A couple of years ago I received a large amount of genealogical and biographical information on GHB and his family and although I have no idea of the accuracy of the research which produced these results, the details appear to give every indication that some very sound work has been done.

The information came from the husband of a great-grand daughter of GHB, and this couple have apparently spent some years researching the family, especially "Maori" himself. It contains a great deal on his parents, siblings, siblings' careers and marriages, GHB's children etc. etc., as well as a "timeline" of GHB's life & career, the whole coming to about six full A4 sheets on email.

It was clearly the sender's wish to exchange and receive info on GHB & to have contact with other interested parties so I have no hesitation in sharing it all with you (or anyone else), although obviously I won't put his email address up on the site itself. If you let me have your postal address I'll pop a full copy in the post; I no longer have the email itself in my computer so it'll have to be by photocopy.

Peter
Keith Smith

Graham

I might just mention that Hamilton-Browne wrote a book of his Zulu War experiences which is still available today, if you can find an inexpensive copy. See G. Hamilton-Browne, A Lost Legionary in South Africa. It is very much a 'Boys Own' style of book and places the writer at the centre of many incidents. In fact, he was shipped off to the Cape when the 3rd Regiment NNC was disbanded after Isandlwana, together with the regiment's commandant, Rupert Lonsdale.

KIS
Sapper Mason

Very Happy Exclamation Very Happy ,
A VERY big thank you to those who responded to my query on "Maori Brown (e), " a character i must admit i know very little , indeed NOTHING about . My special thanks in advance to Julian Whybra for his offer of data. My postal address is as follows : Graham Mason , 11 Bryn - y - Maen , LLANGEFNI , Anglesey , LL77 7RN . It makes me wonder what sort of vetting process was employed ( if at all ! ) on some of these men .

Many " unknowns " are coming to the front who participated in the Zulu War of 1879 as well as new facts on established men . For many a year i believed FRED HITCH VC had but 6 children but the facts speak for themselves , he had 11 . QM Bloomfield was indeed married TWICE , while Sgt Windridge no less than THREE times !!! , i have two marriage details but his initial marriage data still eludes me , i will find it in due course and add many and greatful thanks to those with much more and better knowledge on this fascinating campaign .

Perhaps someone out there has a list of the men who actually left the camp with Chelmsford and even have knowledge of who they were and further service in the 1879 campaign . Question , again thanks to those who responded on " Maori Browne " , Graham .
Peter Ewart

Graham

Only just seen your post. Will be in a position to despatch details at the w/end.

P.
Sorry !!!.
Sapper Mason

Once again apologies to Julian Whybra and Peter Ewart , it was PETER who offered data on " Maori Brown ( e ) " not Julian , i put it down to age and keeness getting this mixed up , this rates alongside my constant error of including Stanley BAXTER as the man who won potrayed Chard in a certain film ! .

If i continue this error i will convince myself BAXTER did portray Chard ! , remakes are often not a patch on the ORIGINAL ,time to leave " Zulu " alone or consider a more factual but entertaining remake ? .

I may well have found information on Pte James Chick kia @ Rorke's Drift , have a little way to go on this one , Graham .
Peter Ewart

No problem, Graham. Said copies should go into the post tomorrow.

Peter
" Maori " Browne