rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Alexander Walkinshaw DCM
Sarah89

I am the great great grandaughter of Alexander Walkinshaw, Sir Evelyn Wood's batman. I know he was with him for many many years unil Wood's death. Alexander married Empress Eugiene's maid when they met in South Africa when they were visiting the death place of Empress Eguiene's son, The Prince Imperial. Alexander respected and admired Sir Evelyn Wood he named his first born and only son Evelyn.

I would like to know whether anyone could shed any light on what you might know or heard of Alexander. I did see a piece where a guy named John Young said he took Alexander's family to Sir Evelyn Wood's home in Essex. I would really love to know about that.
Peter Ewart

Sarah

There is a fairly full account of the 1880 pilgrimage of Wood and Empress Eugenie to Zululand in Ian Knight's excellent biography of the Prince Imperial, With His Face to the Foe. I can't check at the moment whether your ancestor is mentioned. Even if he is not, the journey of the whole entourage is a fascinating story.

You have probably already traced him in the available census returns and I see he was, as you said, still part of Wood's domestic staff in 1891, where he is shown at Horseguards as part of the Lt General's large household, along with the families of the servants themselves, although there is a little anomaly between the various parents and their respective children, given that you have already indicated the name of Alexander's son. Is the name of his wife Euphemie? I don't see this former maid mentioned in the index of Harold Kurtz's The Empress Eugenie. This work covers the 1880 pilgrimage in a few pages and in much less detail than does Ian Knight.

John Y will see your posting himself and no doubt elaborate.

Peter
Sarah89

Thank you for replying. I found a number of books that Alexander was mentioned in, and in one it actually says that he married a maid to the Empress, who was originally Eupheime Rottreau and i have their wedding certificate.

I actaully have a photo of him that was taken the day he received his DCM at Windsor. This was found by my second cousin Tom.

Coll

There is mention of a private Walkinshaw on pages 12 and 26 in 'With His Face To The Foe'. by Ian Knight.

Coll
Sarah89

Thank you. I didn't find that one.
Sarah89

I picked up 'With His Face To The Foe' and on those pages he is mentioned, so thank you very much.

Does anyone know how much John Young comes on here? I'm despearate to find out what he meant.
Coll

Sarah

John Young visits the site on a regular basis (daily I think) and has supplied very helpful information on many occasions.

There is a good chance he'll see your topic today, or in the next few days.

Coll
Sarah89

Thank you Coll.
Keith Smith

Sarah

Bugler Walkinshaw is mentioned a number of times in Evelyn Wood's autobiography From Midshipman to Field Marshall. An inexpensive reprint of the book is available from Naval and Military Press. You can find their web site by using the Engliish version of Yahoo.

KIS
Sarah89

Thank you Keith, i have that book.

This could only be speculation in my family, but after Woods death in 1919, Alexander was said to of Immigrated to Austrailia, and died there, we havent been able to find anything out on that. But also another speculation is that there is or is going to be a book written about him. You live in Austrailia, do you know or have heard of anything like that?
Martin Everett

Keith,

Hate to correct you - Field Marshal is the correct spelling.

Walkinshaw

The Times 15 May 1882 - report of presentation of DCM at Windsor Castle 13 May 1882.

There is a file in the National Archives - WO32/7832

Recommendation in WO146/1

Sarah89

Martin,

Yes i believe that is right, in 1879 28th March is when he won the DCM for going back to collected personal belongings of a close friend of Sir Evelyn Wood's who had died during fighting.

We don't know where the DCM medal is, because we don't know where Alexander died, but how much would the DCM be nowadays?

Last edited by Sarah89 on Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Martin Everett

DCM for Zulu War currently are listed at �10,000-�15,000. Expect to pay/insure with campaign medal about �25,000.

Sarah89

Wow thank you Martin. He had many other medals as well but the most prestigious was his DCM.

Edit: Actually on the picture we have of him in 1910 he has 5 medals exactly, one of them being the DCM.
peterw

Sarah

Have you contacted the regimental museum - they may have the DCM.

As to value, I can't recall any recent sales of Zulu War DCMs. I would have thought possibly �8-10,000, maybe (probably) more.

Peter
Alexander Walkinshaw DCM