rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Sarah89

Peter,

No i havent, do you have an email or address of some kind?

I'm not sure they will have it, but its possible.
peterw

Sarah

Martin has a more recent copy of the Medal Yearbook by the sound of it so his valuation is probably more accurate than mine. My copy shows only 16 DCMs for the Zulu War. Once you discount those in museums i.e., not for sale, the rarity (and price) of the remainder increases further.

The address details for the Museum are:
Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) Museum Collection
Low Parks Museum
129 Muir Street
Hamilton
South Lanarkshire
ML3 6BJ
Region: Scotland
Tel: 01698 328232
Fax: 01698 328412
[email protected]
www.southlanarkshire.gov.uk

Good luck.

Peter
Sarah89

Thank you very much, i hope i have some luck!
Martin Everett

Don't forget there is probably a LS&GC in the group?

Sarah89

What does that mean?
peterw

Long Service and Good Conduct Medal which would be named to him.

Peter
Sarah89

Oh right, thank you Smile
Keith Smith

Sarah

Sorry, but I have no more information about the Walkinshaw family.

Martin

You are perfectly corrrect to point out the spelling error of Field Marshal. In my own defence, I quickly referred to the cover of the reprint, on which the word is spelled with two 'l's, although I should have known better. Anyway, let's blame Naval and Military Press for the error!

KIS
Sarah89

Thats OK Keith, we are at a loss of where he died, its like he disapeared off the face of the earth! LOL.
Peter Ewart

Sarah

Another book in which Walkinshaw received a few brief mentions (three) is Ladies of the Veld, Brian Roberts' account of the travels and campaigns of Lady Florence Dixie and the self-styled "Lady Avonmore."

This 1965 work covers the Empress's 1880 pilgrimage in some detail and the conclusion of the 1st ABW, where Walkinshaw is mentioned up in Pretoria.

Peter

P.S. Tracing a death is not always easy in genealogy and can be frustrating. What searches have you completed so far? And have you checked with the Keynsham Light Horse (see website linked to this site) to see if they have undertaken any research towards tracing his death and/or memorial?
Julian whybra

Sarah
On this forum, in a reply dated 27th Feb 2005 (begun on the 18th) John Young stated that he took the family of Alexander Walkinshaw to see Evelyn Wood's grave near where he lives. Was that you? If not, it may be that there is a branch of the family around who can answer some of your questions!
Sarah89

Yes i do know and after a talking through email, it was my 2nd cousin Tom who he took around, and originally that is where we found the most out about Alexander and where we got the photos from.
Sarah89

I have contacted the medal place and i have been told that there is no DCM medal for Alexander Walkinshaw. So that in my mind he must of taken his medal with him, and my second cousin seems to think that he moved to France to the place where his wife is from and his son left Britian as a spy for the war, then never came back. So my guess is that he took his medals with him and well god knows where they are now Laughing

Does anyone know whether there is a french cenus online? That would shed some light. It seems that the only way that i could find out otherwise is to actually go over to France lol.
Peter Ewart

Sarah

He could still have disposed of his DCM and campaign medals at any time before his supposed departure to France. You don't seem very certain about the information from your sources - perhaps you're not! - and there are many vague statements in your posts which rather prevent people being able to assist you with advice.

As far as I can see from your posts, you have, more or less, a "blank sheet of paper" at present, as very little appears to have been proven - his death in this country or elsewhere, his presumed emigration to France, for example. That's still a good starting point and my advice would be to settle down for the long haul and plan the research carefully and systematically, rather than stabbing around in the dark in different directions. Personally, I'd start by tracing his death first, in whichever country. Records of death can lead to so many other useful biographical sources: death certs, burial entries, obits, funeral reports, wills, monumental inscriptions, etc. etc. Did you ever try the KLH? They don't appear to have his place of rest on their site but may just have undertaken some unfinished work on him.

Vital records in France are maintained very differently to the way they have been in the UK, so there's a wonderful learning curve all ready and waiting! You might try contact with the Anglo-French Family History Society, if only to acquaint yourself with standard French genealogical sources. He hasn't disappeared into thin air at all, but is there waiting for you to find him (not literally!) and if you start with that blank sheet of paper and follow sound, tried and trusted and orthodox methods, you should be able to narrow the search down from needle-in-a-haystack proportions to a manageable task. Follow standard genealogical and biographical steps, using the plentifully available general guides, and remember that that means not always sticking to the internet.

I don't see any reason why you shoudn't be successful in tracing him - although whether the medals turn up is anyone's guess! Good luck

Peter
Sarah89

Sarah

He could still have disposed of his DCM and campaign medals at any time before his supposed departure to France. You don't seem very certain about the information from your sources - perhaps you're not! - and there are many vague statements in your posts which rather prevent people being able to assist you with advice.

As far as I can see from your posts, you have, more or less, a "blank sheet of paper" at present, as very little appears to have been proven - his death in this country or elsewhere, his presumed emigration to France, for example. That's still a good starting point and my advice would be to settle down for the long haul and plan the research carefully and systematically, rather than stabbing around in the dark in different directions. Personally, I'd start by tracing his death first, in whichever country. Records of death can lead to so many other useful biographical sources: death certs, burial entries, obits, funeral reports, wills, monumental inscriptions, etc. etc. Did you ever try the KLH? They don't appear to have his place of rest on their site but may just have undertaken some unfinished work on him.

Can i ask what is KLH? Maybe i can get in contact with the person who owns that site?

Vital records in France are maintained very differently to the way they have been in the UK, so there's a wonderful learning curve all ready and waiting! You might try contact with the Anglo-French Family History Society, if only to acquaint yourself with standard French genealogical sources. He hasn't disappeared into thin air at all, but is there waiting for you to find him (not literally!) and if you start with that blank sheet of paper and follow sound, tried and trusted and orthodox methods, you should be able to narrow the search down from needle-in-a-haystack proportions to a manageable task. Follow standard genealogical and biographical steps, using the plentifully available general guides, and remember that that means not always sticking to the internet.

Thank you for this, i will try that!

I don't see any reason why you shoudn't be successful in tracing him - although whether the medals turn up is anyone's guess! Good luck

Peter

Thank you for such a long reply! As you said we are at a blank on where he died, but its going to mostly be France. My grandmother was a very secrective women and when we asked her where her grandfather might of died she said "he emmigrated over to Austrailia, you will never find him" she was 93, and it seems very unlikely for a man in his 60's to travel all the way across the world to start a new life in 1919.
Alexander Walkinshaw DCM