rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
A Zulu Boy's Recollections of the Zulu War, and of Cetshwayo
Michael Boyle

['s Return ]

A book (?) written in 1884 by Umsweanto translated by G. H. Seinny seems to exist as I've found a reference to it but have been unable to trace any copies. Although one shouldn't judge a book by it's title either, it does sound interesting and presumably informative. Is anyone familiar with this title?

Thanks

Michael
abe
clive dickens

Michael
I got a copy from ABE books a couple of years ago
Clive
Peter Ewart

Michael

It is cited in Keith's new book, where on p176 he uses an extract in which the Zulu boy describes the games he and two others played among the dead and detritus of the battlefield four days afterwards. It is taken from C. de B. Webb's annotated reprint (in Natalia - No 8, Dec 1978) of GH Swinney's 1884 recorded testimony.

It's an extremely interesting little account (the one which includes their well known phrase about the battlefield: "... dead was everything").

Peter
Michael Boyle

Clive and Peter

I did try, alas, no joy. I came across the title buried deep into a 'Zulu War' search on Amazon US books as currently unavailable, went to ABE and got no hit. Peter has pointed out references I was aware of but was unaware of their origin. I did track it down to JSTOR but will have to await my neice's return from post mid-term exam holiday in order to access it from her university. I will keep trying to find a copy though. Clive, is your copy an original or, hopefully, a recent reprint that would prove more readily available?

(Looking forward to the RRW Shop getting Keith's new book in stock as ordering from DP&G from overseas is quite time intensive and it's nice knowing my money goes to a worthy cause as well!) (Actually, if the RRW could include even more of DP&Gs offerings it would prove quite beneficial to all concerned I should think.)

Thanks

Michael
Keith Smith

Michael

I have a photocopy of Colin Webb's article which I made several years ago at the Uni. of KZN Pietermaritzburg. Webb's introduction and footnotes take up the first two and last four pages while Swinney's work is just eleven pages in four chapters. Peter's reference to Natalia above is correct.

KIS
Martin Everett

Dear All,

Just to say Bryan Martin of DP&G has stock us up in Brecon with most of his AZW books including Keith Smith's new publication. Some of them will be put up on 'the shop' on the next day or so. If you cannot wait just put your request in an email [email protected]

I saw the reference to Natalia above - 'Christmas' and Zulu means 'Heaven' and KwaZulu means in 'In Heaven' . Let's hope more people have an opportunity of visiting this fine part of South Africa.

Michael Boyle

Keith, thanks, JSTOR should suffice then.

Martin, good news indeed, you'll be receiving my order as soon I as can decide between what I simply must have now and what can wait a while longer!

MAB
Rich

Michael:
I thought I'd help in trying to get the book too as I troll the net alot for books as well. Came up empty handed too though I did get the ISBN number...if you don't have it here it is...B0008C1BX0...G Bell & Sons 1884...heh heh maybe 2 copies left in the world??????..Clives' and ????...
A Zulu Boy's Recollections of the Zulu War, and of Cetshwayo