rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Robert D\'Ombrain NNC
Martin Everett

Dear All,

This message has arrived in my in-box from Australia. Any help would be much appreciated - reply direct to Linda.

name: Linda Carmody
email: [email protected]

My ancestor was Robert D\'Ombrain who committed suicide in Africa 8.4.1879. He was 1st Lt lst Battalion Native Natal Contingent. I don\'t know if you can help but I would like to know his history in the service. Can you advise me where to look or can you help me. I have found his gravesite and headstone on the net and the small notation re his suicide but that is all. Any information would be appreciated.

Thank you, Linda

Peter Ewart

There is a very full and detailed account of D'Ombrain's suicide supported by plenty of published documentation in Keith Smith's new book, Select Documents: A Zulu War Sourcebook (see pp 283-289) which does seem to be answering a number of queries recently!

If KIS sees this, he may want to contact Miss Carmody in Aussie direct - unless she picks up this thread herself.

Peter
Keith Smith

I wrote a brief note to Ms Carmody but it was returned undelivered. I then looked at the email address and it is incomplete. The correct address, I believe, is [email protected]. I shall re-send my note to this corrected address. (Optus is the second-largest telecom company in Oz.)

KIS
Robert D\'Ombrain NNC