rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Col Harford's Zulu War Journal
Rich

You know I at this point I am trying to make a concerted effort to add more primary sources onto my AZW bookshelf so I did pick up the "Zulu War Journal" by Harford. I've started it and find it immensely readable and interesting for the goings-on in his South African army life. He's a very good writer. I'd like to ask how his journal has been taken in describing the history of AZW events. Is he for the most part accurate in his delineation of events? How did he get along with staff and was he well-liked? Thanks.
Keith Smith

Rich

Childs' edition of Harford's journal does make interesting reading, doesn't it? On his accuracy, there may be some doubts. In his telling of the story of the recovery of the colour from the river, he places himself at the centre of the story and takes much of the credit for the recovery. Reading other accounts such as that of Glyn gives a rather different picture. He also tells the story of Lonsdale's fall from his horse, which contradicts the other version of his indisposition as due to sunstroke.

I also found that much important detail is missing on a number of events, but this is often the case when one is looking for something to which such sources might have the answer.

You will find that I have quoted Harford several times in the Sourcebook. I hope you enjoy it, by the way.

KIS
Col Harford's Zulu War Journal