rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
desertion
clive dickens

Laughing
I have just read that Capt William Degacher 24th foot had a pointer dog which went missing at Isandhlwana and reappeared two weeks later can anyone tell me if he was punished for cowardice
Clive
GlennWade

Hi Clive

Yes, I believe the dog was flogged. I don't recall the source at the moment but I'll try and dig it out.

Cheers,

Glenn

He reported for duty at Rorke's Drift on the afternoon of the 22nd. You can't ask more of a dog than that. He was also wounded in action.

Very Happy
HONOUR PRESERVED
clive dickens

Laughing
Thanks for the information so it seems honour was in the end preserved but did he give any clue to where he had been (Only Joking)
Clive
Alan
Site Admin

Any punishment would surely be woof justice.
(Apologies for my paw sense of humour).

If you ask me I'd say he showed a fair amount of discretionary intelligence, going to play for the winning team as it were!

While we're on the subject of pets can anyone expand on the story of this dog whose tombstone photo I came across?

HERE LIES

LION

THE REGIMENTAL DOG

1st Bn 24th REGIMENT

WHO DIED OCT. 1884

THIS FAITHFUL CREATURE FOLLOWED
THE FORTUNES OF THE BATTALION
THROUGH THE KAFIR AND ZULU
WARS OF 1877 - 78 - 79 AND WAS
SEVERELY WOUNDED AT THE BATTLE
OF Isandhlwana

(Wonder why the CAPs cut out on the end of that?)

Would he be the same pup who made it back to Britain only to be run over by a bus?

Thanks

Michael
mike snook 2

Oh and it was Henry's dog not William's.

M

Michael

Possible confusion with 'Bobbie' (late 66th Regt) who came home from Afghanistan, saw the Queen at Osborne (got a medal) and was later run over by a cab?

M
John Young

Michael,

I think you're confusing Lion's fate with that of Bobbie of the Berkshires from Maiwand.

An image of Lion appears in The Graphic, unfortunately the name is rendered as 'Don', which I put down to the handwriting which accompanied the sketch being misinterpreted.

See KLH site http://www.1879memorials.com/wb1_24/lion.html

John Y.

(Mike, It appears we were answering at about the same time, but I had to take an incoming call. So you beat me to it! JY)
Michael Boyle

Thank you gentlemen, I did mix them up. In the two most famous paintings of Maiwand I noticed Bobbie seems to be shown as both a terrier and a retriever, not that it matters. I guess that since Lion was wounded at Isandlwana he wasn't Henry's dog (name?) but would Henry's dog be the one shown in the famous photo of B Coy?

[While searching regimental mascots I came across the following which seems to show that even now mascots are subject to disciplinary action!]

http://merettapater.blogspot.com/2006/06/story-of-billy-gone-bad.html

MAB
mike snook 2

Michael

Henry's dog was Flip. He was best chums with Kreli (of dubious non-Kennel Club registered parentage, and sadly KIA 22/1/79).

I am writing from memory but I think Kreli had been with one or other of the battalions in the Eastern Cape.

Laughing

As ever

M
mike snook 2

I wouldn't rule out that Flip and Lion might not be the same dog. Where does the Lion thing come from?

My understanding is that Flip was a pointer where the dog in the photo is a spaniel (from memory - not looking at it at present).

On the subject of mascots have you noticed the little buck at the right hand corner of the band of the 2.24 at Pinetown.

M
margaret mcfarlane

Hi everyone,
I attended one of the days at Whittington barracks back in the summer and had the great privilege to meet Watchman, the regimental mascot. He is a magnificent black brindle Staffordshire Bull Terrier, age eight and holds the rank of Colour Sargeant. He was in superb condition and had the steady temperament of the breed, unfazed by anything. He was in wonderful condition, a tribute to all those who care for him and I was told that he has been granted special permission during very hot weather to remove ceremonial dress and wait in the shade until he is required on duty. I understand that he is a great favourite with the Colonel in Chief, Prince Andrew and other members of the Royal Family.
At a dog show recently I was chatting to some Staffie owners and they knew all about him and were very proud of the way he represents the breed.
Best wishes,
Margaret McFarlane
desertion