rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
South Wales Borderers/Royal Regiment of Wales Histories
The Scorer

Having recently read (for the second time), Mike Snook's excellent books on Isandlwana and Rorke's Drift, I have been prompted to look for a history of the South Wales Borderers/Royal Regiment of Wales so that I can find out more about the Regiment.

I've noted that Mike included Jack Adams' book "The South Wales Borderers (24th Regiment of Foot)" and "A Short History of the Royal Regiment of Wales (24th/41st Foot)" by the RRW RHQ in the Bibliography section of the books.

Newport Library seems to have two copies of the former, but only in their Reference Library, so I'll have to see if I can borrow one. However, if I can't, does anyone know whether it's still in print, please? Also, does anyone know how I can get a copy of the RRW book as well, please?

Any other advice would also be welcome ..... thank you in advance!
Martin Everett

Dear the Storer,

If you come to the museum, we could let you borrow a copy of Jack Adams's book for a fixed period to read.

We can recommend the re-print of the 1892 history of the 24th Regiment which you can purchase from the shop - but I realise this may be more than you are prepared to pay. The short history of RRW is also available.

I currently working on a new 'short history' of The Royal Welsh' which adds in the wonderful history and customs of 23rd. This should be available in March/April.

Look forward to hearing from you - 01874 613310

Peter Ewart

Scorer

You may also want to try Philp Gon: The Road to Isandlwana - the Years of an Imperial Battalion (A.D. Donker, Johannesburg, 1979) which covers the 1870s in some detail.

Peter
ANDY LEE

Scorer

Last week I saw a copy in the Oxfam Bookshop in Harborne, Birmingham, if you give them a call they maybe able to sort you out.

And

The Scorer

Many thanks; I'll follow this up as soon as I can.

Very Happy
The Scorer

Thank you again for your help with this.

I'm pleased to say that the Oxfam shop in Harborne has accepted my plastic money and are sending the book to me today. I look forward to reading it!

I have visited the Museum in Brecon, but I would like to do so again, as I didn't spend as much time there as I ought to have the first time. Sadly, it's not the easiest of places to get to by public transport from Newport, but I'll make it, never fear!

I'll also await the new history with interest - as I guess we all will!

Thanks again ... and my best wishes for a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to everyone on the forum!

Very Happy
The Scorer

I'm pleased to say that I have now received my copy of the Jack Adams book from Oxfam in Birmingham and have read it - very good. So, thanks again to Andy for his help!

Very Happy
ANDY LEE

No worries Scorer - Glad I could assist. Very Happy

South Wales Borderers/Royal Regiment of Wales Histories