rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
NCOs of the Natal Native Contingent
GlennWade

Hi All

This is just one of those things that has been bugging me for a while. Is it feasable that the NCOs of the NNC carried revolvers or was this out of the question?

Thanks for any response

Glenn

Glenn,

If they did the weapon would have be a private-purchase, rather than an issued one.

I can't lay my hands on it at present, but the General Instructions for the Management of Natives, for the Guidance of Officers Appointed to the Natal Native Contingent, and Others who may have Natives placed under them does list the issued kit for the N.C.O.'s. To the best of my recollection they were issued with a rifle, ammunition, a bayonet & a hunting knife.

I've also had a cursory glance at all of my original N.N.C./Border Guard photographs, and I'm having trouble spotting any pistol holsters at all.

John Y.

Last edited by John Young on Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
mike snook 2

Glenn

There is the story from the jittery NNC bivouac at Mangeni on the ni 21/22 Jan of Maori Browne disarming some of his levies of their rifles in order to give them to Europeans who had left their own rifles behind at the camp. I can't recall off the top of my head whether he specifically says he was giving the rifles to officers or whether he was non-specific. I think I am right in saying that all the European officers and NCOs alike got issued with a Martini (and I think a bayonet?) There is a good source on this because I can distinctly remember coming across it but I can't remember for the life of me where.

I would agree with John that the NCOs were not issued with revolvers but I fancy they were a piratical enough bunch for those who had acquired one privately to get away with carrying them openly. I don't think anybody would have told them 'you can't do that'.

As ever

Mike
Keith Smith

John

The pamphlet on the Management of Natives to which you referred was also published in the Natal Mercury on 10th December 1878. (See also Times of Natal, 9th December 1878.) It makes no mention of the equipment issued to NCOs of the Contingent, so I think you might have another document in mind. I believe I have seen something similar but cannot bring it to mind at the moment. I thought Durnford might have written something but, having checked, there is no mention of NCOs.

KIS
GlennWade

Hi everyone

Thanks for having a look John, I too have had no luck when browsing images though I dare say your collection is a little more extensive when compared to what I have access to.

That's an excellent phrase Mike, 'they were a piratical enough bunch' Very Happy Really sums up my image of them, brilliant. I think it's pretty feasible they did carry them, albeit privately. I'll keep scouring for a reference though if you fellows can't think of one, I somehow doubt I shall.

Nil Desperandum Exclamation

Cheers,

Glenn

Glenn

The other thing to bear in mind is that revolvers only became a symbol of commissioned rank after this period - early stage of 2BW (though the officers soon switched to rifles!) WWI and onwards. Pistols had been carried pretty universally by cavalry troopers for a long, long time pretty much from the ECW up to the Crimean War, and also at the time of the AZW by some gunners. A proportion of N Battery NCOs, dvrs and gunners would have carried revolvers for example, and also NMP and 'smarter' volunteer outfits like the NC and NMR. It is this which leads me to believe that nobody would have objected to the NNC boys carrying them.

Regards

Mike
John Young

Keith,

Eureka! And I don't mean the Stockade, either!

Regulations for Field Forces in South Africa under the section entitled Natal Native Contingent with the side heading of Equipment for Europeans Regulation 159.
Each officer and non-commissioned officer will have issued to him:-

1 Rifle, bayonet, and belt - 1 scarlet puggaree.
And each non-commissioned officer, in addition:-
1 Great coat
1 Blanket
1 Haversack
1 Water Bottle
1 Canteen
1 Waterproof sheet
1 Short butcher's knife.

John Y.
NCOs of the Natal Native Contingent