rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Tributes and donations
Alan
Site Admin

Anyone wishing to make a tribute and donotion to the memory of David Rattray can use the following.

https://www.secure-server-hosting.com/secutran/secureforms/sh200673/rrwdonation.htm

This is a facility offered by Martin Everett of the RRW Museum. Donations can be made by completing the form as instructed.

In the Beneficiary section choose:
South Wales Borderers (24th Regt) Museum

In the comments box write:
David Rattray; followed by your message.
These will be passed on to Nicky and family.

The donations will go to a cause nominated by Nicky, most likely the Siyasiza Trust (Educational Trust).

Alan
I have made my contribution to the site, and I ask if everyone who are regulars to this site put �20 in as I did. �20 will go a long way in the area. It is nothing, maybe a few pints and a bag of chips... so do it. Anyone who has driven those dirt roads, and seen those smiling faces, the glowing white shirts of the school children and the cheery waves as you pass will know that the they are donating to a great cause.

You know the greatest accolade I have ever heard, was indeed David Rattray, we were at the gated road which took you through the Zulu village, on the way to view the Nwebeni Stream gorge, where the main impi were found on 22.1.79. The kids swarmed around the landrover, and were fighting to open the gate.

David brushed them away by throwing a rand coin, and shouted something in Zulu, a rather posh lady in the landrover called out .. is that what what you do to get rid of them?, no.. he called, I told them you were British!.

Please.. get your cards out donate a few bob and change a life for the better.

Neil

P.s. I am thinking of sorting out a football shirt collection to send to the kids, we all have our team colours which were last years kit, football, (and you see those rickety goalposts all over) is huge to those kids. Why don't we do something to remind them of their friends?

Neil

Paid earlier this week for exactly that reason.

Peter
Jamie

Done!

Jamie
Peter
Site Admin

It's certainly a small ask.. Well put.
Alan
Site Admin

Donations are still being made to the fund for David Rattray via the link above and we are looking forward to receiving more.

The David Rattray Foundation is being established by Nicky to carry on David's work, to fund community and education projects and to promote reconciliation by whatever means possible.

Donations will be sent to the fund with any messages which are left.

Martin Everett of The Regimental Museum of The Royal Welsh has received the following from Nicky Rattray:

Dear Martin
Thanks for the email, we are just in the process of setting up The David Rattray Foundation, both here and in the UK - I would prefer donations to go to this as it will cover a broader base - i.e. it wont necessarily only go to education projects but can be used for other things like AIDS clinics etc.
So grateful if you could hold onto them until we have a bank account set up.
Many thanks
Nicky

Martin Everett is to hand over a cheque for �630 (approx. R9000) to Nicky Rattray next week towards the David Rattray Foundation Fund. This is the amount contributed by the RDVC forum members. Well done, and thank you all.