rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Audio Books - Alternative Version Or Need To Be Requested ?
Coll

May I ask, does anyone know when a book is published (AZW), are there audio versions of it made available at the same time (not necessarily narrated by the author), or do they have to be requested ?

Although I don't imagine there would be much chance with the older titles, but recent titles like HCMDB, LWOTF, ZV, etc.

This is just an enquiry at present.

Thankyou

Coll
mike snook 2

Coll

I honestly don't know the form on audio versions other than to say that certainly neither How Can Man Die Better or Like Wolves on the Fold currently exist in that format. I will raise it with my publisher next time I talk to him and see how these things are done. It's not that commonplace with military history, however, probably because the market is very diverse.

Who do you think has the right voice for it? Let's think big - David Attenborough? I find Attenborough's voice really compelling and could listen to it for hours. I also greatly admire Olivier's narration of the World at War series. |I don't know if any one else could have done that as well as he did it.

But there was none better at that sort of thing than the late lamented David. I'm going to treat myself to listening to Day of the Dead Moon from beginning to end in my study tomorrow.

As ever

Mike
Coll

Thanks Mike

I'd very much appreciate knowing if it is/would be possible to obtain audio versions of AZW titles. It means I could still continue my AZW interest by being able to 'listen' to my books, should I not be able to concentrate on reading them.

I think it was Robert Powell that I heard narrating a lot of military-related documentaries. As you say, it takes a certain voice to truly involve you in the subject being described.

Thanks again

Coll
Sean Sweeney

Hey Coll,

My son has had two cardiacs, a stroke, and a heart transplant, which has all contribited to some brain damage.

We read to him personally in small doses to make sure he's concentrating, and paying attention, otherwise his attention span wanders.

The personal touch is always better, and company too.

Try and get a reader from a one of your local volunteer organisations,
(and the books from your library).
Save you some money also !

I'm sure Dawn would volunteer, but unfortunately she's a bit far away !

cheers,

Sean
Coll

Thanks Sean

Yes. However, much like what Mike is saying about listening to 'Day of the Dead Moon' in his study, I like the idea of sitting quietly in the evening, or even in the garden during the summer and listening to the contents of my AZW books being described, wearing the headphones of my cd-walkman.

This way I could listen to them over and over again.

I've found that no matter how much my concentration drifted, I always managed to listen to my music cds. This is how I'm thinking audio versions of my books would let me continue my AZW interest, or at least, not let me drift too far away from it.

The last time I couldn't concentrate, the frustration at not being able to read, caused me to throw out all of my books, every last one of them. I left myself nothing. I've spent the last few years building up my library again. Unfortunately, most of the books are still unread.

Additionally, I think audio versions of AZW books would be a great idea for others, should they too, wish to listen to the books being read.

Thanks again

Coll
Dawn

Coll

If my AZW book ever gets published, I'll make sure it comes out as an audio book as well! Smile

Dawn
Coll

Dawn

I'll look forward to listening to it ! Wink

Coll
Rich

I think it would be great to get AZW titles in the audiobook format. Maybe the number of book copies sold has an effect on whether it would be produced in that form?

From what I'm aware of, not only is the producer and narrator important in a good recording but also the engineer involved since production quality resides in his area of expertise and responsibility during the recording sessions.

Mike: Olivier's work in World at War was so good. I listen and watch at least 2x a year to it. When you hear him speak his voice is so authoritative and believable and accords the material such great importance with his verbal cadences. Amazing.
Audio Books - Alternative Version Or Need To Be Requested ?