rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Are New Scripts Already Written ?
Coll

Watching a documentary a couple of weeks ago about screenwriting and the process involved in selecting scripts sent by amateur screenwriters.

What interested me was the fact there are companies, who have a vast collection of read/unread scripts, covering horror, comedy, war, etc., in their storage rooms, which obviously are not available to the public.

Looking at the shelves and storage rooms of these companies made me wonder if amongst the thousands of scripts, there were a few based on the AZW, although written by unknowns, may be quite valiant efforts to write new versions of Isandlwana and Rorke's Drift.

I just thought how great it would have been to look through all the unused scripts stored in all of these companies, here and in the U.S.A., in the hope of 'discovering' any based on the AZW campaign.

Wishful thinking I know, but the thought there may be a screenplay about Isandlwana or Rorke's Drift waiting to be found amongst the thousands never made into films for the big screen, was very appealing.

Coll

Last edited by Coll on Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Martin Everett

Dear Coll,

I have to say that I'm usually the first to know of any projects - film, TV, articles and publications. In the last 15 years, as far as I aware there has been no significant research project which has failed to materialise. When reading Sheldon Hall's new book it was interesting to read that Sir Stanley Baker was originally a possible for Colonel Durnford in Zulu Dawn but his early death prevented this. That's a thought for you to conjure with.

Dawn

He might have done a better job that Burt Lancaster. Smile

Dawn
Barbara Grant

The other unfortunate probability, Coll, is that screenplay manuscripts delivered by perhaps knowledgeable but otherwise "unknown" writers, at least to Hollywood, may not even make it to the shelves. Not too long ago I saw a very graphic depiction on TV of manuscripts being delivered chute-like to a dumpster. Imagine the amount of work that went into each!

Therefore in getting a good script of Rorke's Drift/Isandlwana to film requires not only good historical research and writing, but the appropriate "in" with someone in Hollywood or the British film industry who can "take the ball and run with it." From this perspective, Sir Stanley's achievement is so much the more impressive.

Barbara
Coll

Martin

Thankyou very much for your reply.

Dawn

He definitely would have done a better job than Burt Lancaster.

Considering the enthusiasm he had to get 'Zulu' onto the big screen and his strong portrayal of Lt. Chard, makes me think the same 'passion' would have been felt regarding a film about Isandlwana.

The idea that he may have portrayed Col. Durnford in 'Zulu Dawn' really appealed to me. His inclusion in the film, I think, would have raised it high above the level it is rated at now, especially with his connection to 'Zulu'.

Barbara

Yes. It would be disheartening to see so much work thrown away.

I always wondered if some film companies kept a sort of archive containing quality scripts sent to them over the years, maybe unable to bring them to the big screen because of the financial costs to make them.

Again. Wishful thinking on my part. I was hoping, as films about Isandlwana and Rorke's Drift would be expensive to make, that any scripts held by film companies, waiting for the right time (financially) to consider making them, would appear, a few covering these 2 famous battles, amongst them.

Coll
Dawn

Coll
I'm afraid to say that you'd probably find film companies are the same as book publishers; what's not wanted, is rejected and/or thrown away.
Dawn
Coll

There is an alternative.

Commission new screenplays from scriptwriters.

Coll

PS. Unless I finally manage to write one myself.
New Scripts! A Lesson!
John Young

Coll,

Some years back I was asked to prepare something on the death of the Prince Imperial. What I give the intended producer was a lengthy piece based on actual events, and where possible actual recorded dialogue was used.

After the raw material crossed the pond it returned in somewhat altered state. A Zulu love interest for the Prince; a clandestine meeting with King Cetshwayo (shades of Khartoum) and a British plot to rid the Earth of the name of Bonaparte. Dropped from the epic tale of fiction was the court-martial of Carey, which was the hub of my piece.

Fortunately the backer pulled out of the project having lost a small fortune on another risky venture, otherwise who knows how the story would have ended?

John Y.
Coll

John

Yes. I guess this is where problems would be faced, maintaining control over the screenplay contents, without too many alterations being made, especially when it is about an actual historical event.

The more I hear about Stanley Baker and the others involvement in bringing Zulu to the big screen really inspires me and I'm very much looking forward to obtaining Sheldon Hall's book.

Coll
Are New Scripts Already Written ?