rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Captain H. Hutton FLH
csimpson

Hi,

Can anyone please assist me in varifying Captain H. Hutton's service in New Zealand?

The short and tall of his South African service with the FLH as as follows, any assistance would be appreciated.

HUTTON H. He was recorded to have served in New Zealand against the Maori�s. Enlisted 22.5.78. Captain and Adjutant, Frontier Light Horse, Gaika and Gaeleka War 1877-78, Sekukune campaign 1878 and Zulu War 1879. Discharged 26.8.79. He was described as being the Paymaster of the FLH.

Cam Simpson,
Melbourne
Keith Smith

Cam

The only reference I can find is that below:

Unnumbered General Order, 7th June 1879, Natal Witness, 12th June 1879.
1. The Maritzburg Troop and the Durban Troop to be formed into one Squadron, and attached to the Frontier Light Horse.
3. Payment of this Squadron will be undertaken by the Paymaster of the Frontier Light Horse (Mr Howard Hutton), who is granted the rank of Captain.

KIS
csimpson

Keith,

Thanks for the help on this one. 'Howard" at least provides me with a strong lead on this one. I've just noticed your book for sale in Wales which I'll order without delay. It will be an asset to my library.

Cam.
John Young

Cam,

Hutton's New Zealand service is mentioned in the 1887 book Defenders of New Zealand, I have an original photograph of him wearing his both of his medals, the same image is used in the book.

I have a photocopy of his journal for the period 1878-79, sadly, I can't trace the current owner of the original, as it would make most interesting reading.

John Y.
csimpson

John,

Thanks for the reply and the tip in relation to Captain Hutton featuring in Defenders of New Zealand. Many years ago I can recall seeing a copy of this in the Victorian State Library....I'll pursue it with haste. I may even have a copy of the nominal roll somewhere?

Cam.
Captain H. Hutton FLH