rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Another Robin Hood Film - Starring Russell Crowe !
Coll

What's the deal - another Robin Hood film, but from the Sheriff's P.O.V. ?

Apparently, Crowe will portray the Sheriff. Can't be true - or can it ?

Surely, even though a few years ago, after Costner's and Bergin's versions, a third, is too much, even using a different approach.

What's next - the OK Corrall, but from the Clanton's P.O.V., even though we had Tombstone and Wyatt Earp a few years back.

There must be other subjects to cover, at least, if still using a different approach like the above, go back a recent discussion for the battles of Isandlwana and Rorke's Drift from the Zulu perspective.

Additionally, Zulu was 1964 and Zulu Dawn 1979, so another film about the subjects couldn't be criticised for being made too soon after the originals.

Has the film industry truly ran out of new ideas ?

Coll
Rich

Coll...Yes I read about it too. For myself, I'd like to see the film. Now supposedly Russell would be playing a different take on the old sheriff.
(I'd get a different look on the sherrif than Richard Green got with his band of merry men in the "Adventures of Robin Hood".But I'd think you wouldn't remember that serial..Wink

......Anyway things we'd like to see eh?
Crowe as Durnford in the "Battle in the Donga"...
Crowe as Chelmsford in the "Life and Times of Old Thesiger".....
all brought to you by the BBC.....Wink...
Coll

Rich

Yes. Apparently, Crowe's Sheriff is supposed to be the good guy, trying to do the 'right thing', but ol' Robin keeps putting a 'spanner in the works'.

I just don't feel we need another Robin Hood film, as well as the new series on BBC, which has recently finished.

Even to go back to a previous topic I started about a Rorke's Drift mini-series, which is basically a Victorian version of 'Band of Brothers'.

I'm sure it could work, as most of the action is based in/around the Mission Station, allowing us to get-to-know the participants more, rather than concentrating solely on the fighting.

However, Isandlwana wouldn't work as a mini-series for obvious reasons.

Although, we could be 'introduced' to some of those involved at Isandlwana, such as Durnford, etc., perhaps having them visiting the Mission station to speak to the officers - Chard and Bromhead ?

A good way to at least acknowledge some of the Isandlwana participants, if not managing to cover the engagement they were involved in.

Coll
You never know
flawedhero

Just been watching a film on BBC1 The Trench, about a platoon of troops in the two days prior to the first day of the Somme and although the final scenes didn't look too convincing i felt it was effective in getting the viewer to know the characters before they went over the top.
However this would be perhaps difficult to do with such a lot of characters which everyone would want to see included in any film of Isandlwana.
Coll

Exactly. It could work for Rorke's Drift.

I've always liked the idea of a conversation between Durnford and Chard, taking place a short while before one of them was involved in an action for which he would be awarded a VC. The other riding on to Isandlwana and controversy, which seemed to plague his life.

If well-written, we could get an insight into their thoughts before both engagements. I think such a 'meeting' between the two would be extremely watchable, but as I say, has to be written well.

Coll
Sean Sweeney

Robin Hood was a crook, a petty thief, a poacher, and political dissident,

and in possession of the WMD of that era. The yew longbow.

The Sherriff was an elected official.

Surely we cannot condone his 'terrorist' actions against the lawful govt. ?

Sean
Dawn

Ah, but you can't make a romantic hero out of an elected government official, can you?

Dawn
ANDY LEE

Smile However Dawn - there could be scope this time for creating a role for my Britney Spears Laughing

Dawn

I think Britney would look silly as the Sheriff of Nottingham. Mind you, now that she has shaved off all her hair, all she needs is a deep voice and she might just pass muster. Laughing

Dawn
Martin Everett

Over many months I have monitored Coll's postings. I get the feel that he was not at ease with Burt Lancaster's portrayal of Col Durnford. That any re-make of Zulu Dawn should show Durnford saving the 24th from disaster, then surviving to be recognised for his true gallantry under fire. And then riding off in the sunset happily with his girlfriend.

Last edited by Martin Everett on Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

Coll

Hello Martin

How did you manage to read my screenplay ?! Wink

I'm delighted, however, to see from your posting, that you're still reading my posts Very Happy as I thought you may have given up by now, either because of their repetition, sheer boredom, or disbelief that I can admire such a man !

Is it A, B, or C - or all of the above ? All - I imagine ! Rolling Eyes

Anyway, could there not have been another side to Isandlwana (not for a film) and that is, if it had been a British victory. What would have been made of that outcome ?

What would have become of Durnford, Pulleine, etc., if not to have been praised for destroying the Zulu army with their small force of defenders, while Chelmsford was having lunch ?

Additionally, didn't a lot of officers hope to see action, where they get a chance to shine, to test themselves and their qualities as leaders ?

Durnford, more than most, perhaps, as he was seen to be wanting to play the part of a knight errant - the type who wish to, as I did see him at Isandlwana, try and 'save the day' !

I knew my decoy(s) Smile would work, to draw you out to make a posting on the subject of Durnford !

Got you ! Wink

Coll
Sean Sweeney

Sorry Andy,

your 'Britney' seems to have gone whacko like Jacko.

With a shaved head and tatoos, she won't be riding off into any sunset with Russell, that's for sure !

Not sure what would suit her. Something more like Kevin Costner's 'WaterWorld'.
A good dip in the sea might sober her up a bit.

I think you need to move on.

Now a real ' thinking man's ' heroine would be squeaky clean Scarlett Johansson.
Just voted Sexiest Woman on Earth .
She could star in any movie of mine, any day !

cheers,

Sean

Last edited by Sean Sweeney on Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Dawn

Sean

I think you mean Andy, not Alan.

And my bid is on Charlise Theron for rising above her disturbing past. I admire strong women.

Britney's just too soft!

D
Another Robin Hood Film - Starring Russell Crowe !