rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
The Wild West - Custer's Last Stand !
Coll

A drama-documentary on Friday BBC2 at 9p.m.

The newspaper says -

'....painstakingly recreates General Custer's catastrophic defeat at the hands of the Sioux Indians at the Battle of the Little Big Horn in 1876.'

Also -

'....using the latest archaeological findings and examination of source material.'

' His death gave rise to speculation about whether he died first or last, and the manner of his death - lance, bullet, tomahawk or arrow.'

'A hero of the Civil War, and a tried and tested indian fighter, Custer never underestimated the enemy. Yet, despite a sound battle plan, clashes with his lieutenants would prove his downfall, allowing the likes of Chief Sitting Bull and Crazy Horse to taste victory.'

If these comments are anything to go by, you'll get some idea of the approach this documentary may have to the subject.

I'll definitely be watching to see what version of events this programme describes of the famous engagement !

Coll
a.j

It's a three part series. Custer's Last Stand is first, the Gunfight At The O.K Corral, then Billy The Kid.

Toby Stephens plays thepart of George Armstrong Custer

You can watch the trailer of the series at

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbctwo/programmes/?I'd=wild_west
mike snook 2

AJ
Thanks for posting that link. Even the 7th Cavalry looked like the real 7th Cavalry, and Custer was dressed correctly. It looks very promising.

I'm looking forward to that.

regards

Mike
Coll

Perhaps, if this drama-documentary shows potential, the BBC could use it as an example on how to make an AZW-related programme of the same quality.

'Africa - Durnford's Last Stand !'

'....painstakingly recreating the British defeat at the hands of Zulu warriors in the Battle at Isandlwana 1879.'

If Gen. Custer and the Battle at the Little Big Horn can be shown in many documentaries, even though the battle was a famous defeat, why can't we have the same amount of quality programmes about Col. Durnford and the Battle at Isandlwana, being 'one of our own' famous defeats in military history ?

There certainly were enough interesting participants and heroic incidents during the engagement, that would merit having a quality drama-documentary made about it.

Now I know Durnford ain't no Custer, but both he and Isandlwana are part of our own military history that we should be seeing on television, as much, if not more than ol' Custer.

Although I enjoy watching LBH documentaries too !

I apologise for the small rant, but hell, why think it when I can write it ? Wink

Coll
a.j

Well we know how Custer died, but what we don't know for sure is was he wounded before he got to Last Stand Hill or not. In my own personal opinion he wasn't.

With his wounds he would have not to have been able to stay on his horse and in that situation it would have to one very loyal soldier to keep him on his horse. So I don't think he was wounded when he got to Last Stand Hill, but I may be wrong.
Rich

..j...where were the cameras when we needed them???...Wink....
Barbara Grant

In re: Coll's comment:

There is so much repetition in filmmaking for the big screen and television these days that I would welcome a docu-drama on Isandlwana. (I mean, how many Brady Bunch remakes can one tolerate before the subject becomes worn?)

Seriously, I've often heard how starved TV and movie execs are for fresh new ideas; taking another look at Isandlwana, for the small screen if not the big, would be a great idea.

Barbara
Coll

Barbara

When I saw the 'Custer's Last Stand' drama-documentary mentioned in the TV programmes, I found myself looking at the photograph of Toby Stephens dressed as Gen. Custer, with the flag in the background and thought how great it would have been to have seen him dressed instead as Col. Durnford, with a British flag in the background, bringing our attention to a programme appearing soon about Isandlwana.

As I always seem to say - someday hopefully !

Coll
Coll

Although I know other papers and magazines will have done reviews of the programme about Custer's Last Stand, but the small paragraph in today's paper reminded me of a previous posting.

The small review is titled -

'NEW EVIDENCE MAY LET CUSTER STAND TALL'

'He's condemned by history to the realm of failed and inept military commanders for his disaster at the Battle of the Little Big Horn in 1876, when he and his troops were wiped out by an angry army of Sioux and Cheyenne.'

However, it is this second paragraph which I'm referring to -

'This dramatised documentary tries to look at the events leading up to the battle, and features new research which shows that George Custer's tactics were not as reckless as some might believe.'

In a previous discussion, on the subject of Durnford (again Rolling Eyes) and his actions at Isandlwana, I happened to say (more-or-less) - instead of seeing what you THINK he was doing, look beyond and see what he was TRYING to do.

I'm very keen to see the documentary tonight, just so long as they don't appear to be contorting the facts to suit this approach to the events.

My views on A.W.D. I know many would disagree with, but I wouldn't wish to contort anything for them to suit.

Coll
Barbara Grant

Coll,

Can you provide a link to that article? I'm not quite sure where to look.

Thanks,

Barbara
Coll

Barbara

It was just a small review in the newspaper. I think there is a more detailed article about the programme in the Tv/Radio Times.

Coll
Barbara Grant

Coll,

Thank you; I'll check further.

Barbara
Coll

Barbara

I've just checked Amazon and it states that the dvd of the series should be available from March 5th 2007.

Coll
Barbara Grant

Coll,

Thanks; I'm sure I couldn't have seen it on TV in the U.S.!

Barbara
The Wild West - Custer's Last Stand !