rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Drama-Documentaries - How To Pitch An Idea To TV Channel ?
Coll

Just thought I'd follow up a recent discussion about an AZW-related drama-documentary on the subject of Isandlwana, after watching the recent 'Custer's Last Stand' from 'The Wild West' series.

Does anyone know the process involved in pitching such an idea to a TV channel, perhaps having participated in a production of a similar nature ?

I do have a book 'Writers Yearbook', which gives some details of the kind of approach necessary, but better to hear from someone who has been involved in the development of a documentary.

I ask out of interest.

Thanks

Coll
Rich

Coll:

For television, you could send your work in to the programming department. I think its imperative you have a lawyer to perhaps take care of legal contingencies that might crop up in your screenplay, book or whatever. That is very important for your "intellectual property". Make sure you protect it.
Coll

Thanks Rich.

Yes. I'm thinking, unlike previous discussions on screenplays about Isandlwana/Rorke's Drift and the appeal they may have for the big screen, as well as the difficulties to get them even read, never mind film budgets, etc., a drama-documentary appears to be a bit more achievable, but the best approach to a TV Channel would be everything.

The 'Custer's Last Stand' episode of 'The Wild West' series, convinced me that such a well-filmed drama-documentary would be great for Isandlwana, including scenes involving the 2 decision-makers - Durnford and Pulleine - also 1 or 2 other important participants. (on both sides)

However, to get the attention of TV bosses, the approach has to be well-prepared, detailed, etc., in order to sway them on the idea that a programme of this sort would be interesting and extremely watchable to the TV audience.

Therefore, how do you amass enough information to appeal, but not overdo the suggestion ?

Do you construct a several page file, with written and illustrated details, rather than a couple of pages with a covering letter ?

As I feel, being a 'nobody' in this sort of business, poorly prepared information, which lacks everything needed, would be filed in the bin immediately !

Coll
Rich

Coll:

Your thinking is right all down the line. I'd like to just emphasize the point that the worlds of the "telly' and filmdom are extremely competitive when it comes to stories being told for those screens. Just my opinion: I'd look at what you are trying to accomplish through the producers you will come in contact with. They will have questions. Is it a good story that people would be interested in? More importantly, will it get viewers? And will it cost a bundle? Another point: Can the story be told from another perspective? Would a unique interpretation work to perhaps spark interest? My feeling that the reason we haven't seen a remakes of Zulu and Zulu Dawn is that that story has been no doubt "told" already. Producers believe there's no upside to doing it all over again. Your focus on Durnford is good from your perspective but would that be enough to get the documentary going and watched in many UK homes to start? heh heh you have a captured audience here but I don't think that will put food on the table for the BBC and for you..Wink...

PS I couldn't help but notice that Tom Stoppard, the playwright, has penned a new play "The Coast of Utopia". Well it appears to be a "hit". Now it's a play about Russian revolutionaries. I don't think its' every day that we see "hits" about Russian class politics. So who knows? I guess if something's written well and can be produced OK then maybe there's always the chance that it too can be a "hit" with the public just like TCOU.
Barbara Grant

What about British people pitching a docu-drama idea about Islandwana to an American TV production company? I'm asking because I'd like to see one here, but also it might have the aspect of novelty, as in "You've heard the story of Custer and the massacre at Little Big Horn, but did you know the British had their own version? Isandlwana..." or something of that nature.

Barbara
Steven Sass

Coll,

Just a thought for what it's worth, as I am not involved in the TV or Film industry. However it might be worth a shot to not start immediately with the producers. Perhaps someone else who worked on the Custer project or similar projects in the UK may be more accessible. If you are able to get someone on your side that has credibility and the producers are familiar with, I would assume they would drop their guards somewhat and may be more comfortable considering the idea than if you approached them cold, as somewhat of an unknown.

Cheers,

Steven
Rich

Sounds like a good approach...maybe he could even get in touch with Zack Snyder, the fellow responsible for "300", the "over-the-top" film about the Spartans at Thermopylae.. Wink . "300" is an example of an old thing getting dusted up for 21st century sensibilities. If Zack got a hold of Isandhlwana or Rorke's Drift, you know we'd get a very interesting interpretation!
Drama-Documentaries - How To Pitch An Idea To TV Channel ?