rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
The Washing of the Spears
Sean Sweeney

Just finished the late Donald Morris's tome, seen as the first of the 'modern' researched offerings on the AZW.

I found it an interesting read, and he seems a pleasant enough fellow, an American ex-serviceman, and confidante of Ernest Hemingway.

Is he credited with any ground breaking findings in his research ?
and,
Has any body chronicled any glaring inaccuracies in his work ?,

or is it seen as more of a generalisation of early Zulu history and events rather than an in-depth analysis of the battles,
as we have more come to expect of late ?

many thanks,

Sean
Keith Smith

Sean

I am surprised that your questions have not been raised earlier by others on this site but still ...

I think Morris' greatest achievement has been that he brought to notice the incredible story of the the creation and destruction of an indigenous South African empire forged by the will of one man. That should be enough to earn him immortality in the annals of the AZW and this is confirmed by the fact that the book is still in print.

Inevitably, despite his extensive research, Morris made a number of errors in his book, although his reach for helpful source material was quite wide. One of his most serious errors was his inclination to confuse individuals who shared the same name: Lt H.D. (Harry) Davies and Lt Nathaniel Newnham-Davis, Captain William Barton and Captain Geoffry Barton, are good examples of this , which has been followed by many other writers including John Laband. I rather think that Morris was himself following D.C.F. Moodie, who also confused them. I'm sure that other contributors will add to my list, which is by no means exhaustive.

KIS
Sean Sweeney

Thanks Keith,

I have seen a few reviews. All positive.

Elizabeth doesn't have anything on her AZWRS,
so can't compare it to her other flavours of the month.

cheers,
Sean
Peter Ewart

Sean

If the book was appearing for the first time today, I think it safe to assume the reviews would be much less positive, especially if written by reviewers with at least a passing knowledge of the Anglo-Zulu War - which is certainly not always the case.

Although still (probably rightly) considered by some historians to be an important publication because of its timing and its broad scope, most consider that much of Morris's work has not only been considerably updated and corrected by others since but, in many ways (for example his account of Isandlwana) entirely superseded. Indeed, if you read any recent - and reliable - work on Isandlwana, you'll see that it seems to be accepted generally these days that Morris's version of the battle is exactly how it didn't happen.

Increasingly, the author was in the position of having to defend various of his claims in recent years. The absence of detailed footnotes has provided much of the most damning ammunition from his critics and was, perhaps, the biggest single reason for his difficulties in defending his claims, leading to accusations that his imagination was responsible for some statements rather than rigorous treatment of reliable sources. Against all this, one should, perhaps, consider the conditions under which most of his research was undertaken in the late '50s and early '60s in West Berlin, as well as the sheer scope and timespan of his work, which was very ambitious and more or less unprecedented. As a popular rather than an academic history, you'll have seen that it is written with great verve, which can tend, perhaps, to lead the reader to admire his prose and his gift for story-telling, while being unaware of any possible shortcomings in historical analysis. Even the fact that the original substantial hardback edition with attractive dustjacket has an impressive feel to it tended, at the time, to lend authority and "weight" to its reputation.

What is certain is that it was the most successful book at the time on the subject (and probably into the 1970s too) and therefore went through many reprints and was probably the first book on the war or on Zulu history which many readers came across. As we all know, it is often very difficult to dispel our first impressions!

Why it is still in print, however, is a great mystery to many.

Peter
Dawn

The Washing of the Spears was not the first book I read on the Zulu War but I did read it all the same. What struck me was how much it reminded me of my history textbooks when I studied the subjects at school. What I mean is the events as he portrayed them were much as I remembered from my history classes.

So maybe what he was writing about was accepted fact at the time. While perhaps the battles of the Zulu War are erroneous I did find the story of the first settlers in Port Natal very, very familiar.

So, while we can find fault with the work with the knowledge we have now, back then I guess it must have been well accepted.

Enough to see the reprints continue, and continue.

Dawn
Sean Sweeney

Thanks Peter, and Dawn.

I guess as long as interest in the subject continues, there will be enough demand to continue printing.

Sales no doubt revolve around adequate distribution as well,
so they're obviously doing well in the mass market on the street.

Sean
The Washing of the Spears