rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
One to look out for.
TonyJones

Dear all,
Gorton historian, Mr Sid Riley (whose cousin married into the Jones family), has informed me that an article will appear in the newspaper 'The Weekly News', the first or second week of January that focuses on Alister Williams's book, 'Heart of a Dragon'. The article will feature the last ever picture taken of William Jones VC, which shows him shortly before he died in 1913.This will be the first time that this picture (in full-a head shot appeared taken from this picture,the day after he died,in The Manchester Evening News) has been featured in a newspaper.

Tony.
Updates.
TonyJones

Dear all,
despite 'Weekly New's' initial enthusuam in assuring us that they would print this article,they have now decided to keep it on file for the time being.Possible reasons are,that a short while ago there was an article about Rorke's Drift,plus a feature on Sheldon Hall's 'Zulu with Some Guts Behind it featured.If we receive any news about the publication date we will inform the forum.Cheers.

Tony.
At Last!
TonyJones

Dear All,
in the Weekly News,31st March Edition,all regions,page 18,there is an article featured about the Battle of Rorke's Drift with a piece tagged on about 593.Sid Riley's (Gorton Historian) name is listed as 'Sid Ridgeway' which has caused us some amusement.Copies of this paper are sold quickly due to the fact that most newsagents only stock a dozen or so copies in total.Enjoy!

Tony Jones.
xmas
clive dickens

Tony
I had this book for Christmas it is a brilliant book well worth the price
Clive
Zulu with no buts behind it.
TonyJones

Dear Clive,
I presume you mean Sheldon Hall's book.This book was a welcome adjunct to the film and a breath of fresh air at a time when there were attempts to 'sully' the memories of brave men and important battles.This is an intelligent 'fresh angle' on an aspect of our favorite subject and I must now be on about my umpteenth read of this fine piece of work.I met Sheldon at the Hook rededication at Churcham in 2005 and he is a true gent.All the best.

Tony.
One to look out for.