rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Coll

Rich

I don't know how interested you are in the battle at the Little Bighorn, but wanted to let you know of a book I've seen in a catalogue which arrived today.

Where Custer Fell : Photographs of the Little Bighorn Battlefield - Then and Now. Brust, J.

It appears to be a new or forthcoming title, which you might already know about, but thought I'd bring your attention to it anyway.

Coll
Coll

I've just received a secondhand book catalogue and in the Zulu War listings there is the following -

Figure of Controversy : Col. Anthony Durnford in Natal and Zululand.
Droogleever, R.W.F.

However, this isn't his book, but says that it is 298pages on microfiche, which is the original dissertation from which 'Road to Isandlwana' was drawn.

Does this mean his 'thesis' is available on this microfilm(?) and how would I go about processing it, as it all is a bit 'secret agenty' to me ?

Thanks

Coll
Martin Everett

Dear Coll,

This is a thesis submitted by Fortuyn-Droogleever in October 1982. It is on paper - and the museum was fortunate to be presented a copy by the author. It runs to 298 typed pages. It is possible that an archive had it microfilmed and have now disposed of it.

Coll

Martin

Thanks for replying.

Earlier in this topic it was mentioned that it wouldn't be possible for someone like myself to obtain a copy, without going to the library where the thesis is held.

Seeing this in the catalogue, which did seem unusual, made me wonder if it was the same thing.

I ordered it straight away.

Thanks again

Coll
Keith Smith

Coll

Yep, that is Robin Drooglever's thesis - can't believe you found it in a second-hand book catalogue. I'm glad you ordered it right away - you will really enjoy the detail in it. If it is on microfiche, you may be able to find a firm to print it for you, otherwise you might have to use a library fiche reader to get at it.

KIS
Rich

Coll...thanks for heads up on the Little Big Horn photogrpahs...I should pick it up...appears to be like the Zulu War one done by Mr. Knight...
Custer and his 7th you know is another one of these endless, fascinating and debatable battles of the world....and btw if you're ever near Wash DC stop by Arlington Cemetery and you'll find Col Benteen there under that Washington sky!
Coll

Rich

Glad it was of interest to you.

As for myself, regarding another matter -

" DISAPPOINTED !!!!!!!! "

I've just recently checked my e-mails and earlier tonight a message has been left to tell me the thesis is no longer available !

So, obviously someone seen and ordered it quicker than me.

I've sent an e-mail asking the company if they would contact me if such an item became available again. A long shot, I know, but if it happened once, it could happen again.

In ol' Durnford's words -

I have no news, am stupid, and dull, and 'down', so adieu for the day.

PS - I am 'down', because I'm left behind, but we shall see.

Coll
Spare Copy ?
Sapper Mason

Forum Very Happy ,
Has anyone out there got a copy of the RWF DROOGLEEVER book on Durnford ? , try as i may i don`t seem to have able to locate a copy , not too expensive please ! , thanks , " Sapper " . Very Happy
John Young

Graham,

There was a copy a few months ago in the second-hand bookshop in Maldon, Essex, I don't think it was over-expensive.

A search on Abebooks.co.uk reveals one for sale in Leigh-on-Sea for �18.95, as well as one in the U.S.A. under �8 - guess that's down to the current exchange rate!

John Y.
Michael Boyle

Sapper

Amazon UK has one for 30 pounds, Amazon US has a few starting at @7 pounds and Abebooks has a few starting at @7 pounds as well, plus shipping of course. Given the current exchange rate ordering from the States should prove a real bargain. It is a very interesting book and well worth adding to one's library.

Best

Michael
Rich

Not sure if others know this but I read that (if indeed it's the same fellow) that Robin Drooglever is doing some work on Australian history specifically the Victorian Bushmen who fought in South Africa. A book could be coming out on them after he finishes his research with relatives.
Can Anyone Give More Information About R.W.F. Droogleever ?