rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Use Of Scale Model Film Sets Before/During Production ?
Coll

After watching 'The Dirty Dozen' recently, somehow the scene where the men are looking at a scale model of the building they will be attacking to almost a precise scale, made me wonder if the model was part of the filming process, as in, was it built as a miniature film set, to assist in visualising the techniques and placements to be used during filming, but a decision was made to also include it in this specific scene ?

In many ways, I think it appears as a guide for the audience, to help understand the plan to be undertaken by the soldiers. Not suggesting audiences can't work out the plan for themselves if it had only been talked about by the characters, but with this aid, I feel the plan is clearer and we know where everyone will be located.

Modern techniques in the film industry would probably use a computer-related 3D film set, in which you can zoom in on certain areas for specific scenes, characters' P.O.Vs, etc. This would allow the filming crew to understand the technical side of what will be required during filming.

I guess that is why I'm so interested in Tom516's Zulu Total War mod, as this may be the first step in creating a 3D image of the battlefield. In time, maybe giving possibilities of moving around and zooming in on certain areas, the camp, wagon park, etc. Hopefully, allowing the positioning of figures - 24th companies, Zulu regiments, etc., but not as a playable game, more like a detailed computer-generated film set as described above.

Coll

Last edited by Coll on Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sheldon Hall

Coll,

Such miniature sets were indeed often used to work out camera positions and other practical considerations before the start of filming, so I daresay it's possible the model you mentioned originated with this purpose. And digitally animated 'storyboards' (called animatics) are used for a similar purpose today. I don't know of any such AZW-related materials, however!

Sheldon
Coll

Sheldon

Thankyou.

It is a very interesting aspect of film-making. The idea of 'seeing' the whole set as a model or 3D image. Being able to look around and locate certain areas where specific scenes would occur, but at the same time aware of the 'bigger picture', as in, where everybody else is in the film in the surrounding area itself. Basically, a bird's eye view of almost the whole area where all the action takes place in the film.

The only recent scale model I've seen regarding film-making and the discussing of positioning shots, etc., was for 'The Terminal' with Tom Hanks. In the behind-the-scenes documentary, it showed you the model and the director visualising where everything happens, camera locations, etc. Fascinating.

Thanks again

Coll
Coll

Further to the above.

An idea of what I am meaning is seen in The Lt.'s topic on the Games Forum of this site.

Using a scale model of Rorke's Drift and figures, he is telling the story in well-taken images (storyboarding) which does give an insight into the use of such models by film companies.

Coll
Use Of Scale Model Film Sets Before/During Production ?