rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Great -grandson of Robert Jones VC
whiteheadalfie

About 20 years ago, whilst serving at a training establishment in Wiltshire for young soldiers, I was introduced to a young man who said he was the great-grandson of one of the Rorke's Drift VC winners. I cannot remember this chap's name but I think he must have meant Robert Jones VC. Does anyone know this young man (he would now be about 35 but that's still young on my scale)?

Coincidentally, there was an RCT (previously RASC) Officer called Attwood. I have often wondered if he was a descendant of Cpl. Attwood.

Regards

Paul Whitehead
Phil Pearce

well Robert Jones is my great grand father and I'm 41 . His grand daughter ( my mum) was 74 last week and he has 3 other surviving grandchildren as well. I know personally of only one younger great grand son than myself and he died a few years ago from a life long illness . However there could be one I don't know about. Roberts Eldest child was born in 1884 this youngest in 1897. His youngest child had one daughter slighty older and she had I belive, had a son. My mother cannot think of anyone who would be about 35 now who would be a great grandson but we have not been in contact with one branch of the family in decades so anything is possible. I do know however that this person is not decended through my gran nor a great uncle and defo not through two of my great aunts. However there is a side of the family who are not decended from Robert Jones VC who get confused about their liniage. You see after Roberts death in 1898 his wife ( then 36) remarried within a year to a man some 10 years younger than herself . Went on to have two further children. Further more after my great grand mothers death in the 1920's her second husband again remaried to a woman younger than his own children and stepchildren Her name being Elizabeth the same as my great grand mothers. as to this union I know little appart from that they sometimes like to spout the RDVC connection but are not really relatives. Hope this helps. However will add that my nan was born in 1895 and was quite supprised to have twins in 1933 mum being the younger twin and nans youngest child. This guy may be a great great grandchild but I doubt if he is from my generation of the family. If u ever bump into him again ask his grand parents names and I will be more than able to help him with his family tree. also pretty easy to check out his story btw Smile
Sarah

I also am a great great grand daughter of robert Jones VC and come from the branch of the family of his daughter emily or emmie as my mum and aunty and uncles would call her. Emily and Ernest had 2 kid my grandfather Robert (Bob) and Elizabeth or Aunty Betty as she is known to us, and knowing their children and their children,i do not know anyone from this side with that surname.
Sorry not much help to you.
Phil Pearce

hey sarah how are you ? Long time no chat. I think that the young man spoken of here was either a great great grandson who none of us know anything about or yet another psudo relative......we have so many lol......nice to be popular lol lol lol
Sarah

Hi Phil i am not too bad had another baby last July so have been very busy sos that why not been around to much, i know what you mean everyone wants to be in our family!!!!
Phil Pearce

Hello sarah sorry for the latness in my response but work has overtaken my leisure time again Crying or Very sad . Just wanted to say congrats on the new baby , hope that the sleep deprevation isn't to bad xx
Great -grandson of Robert Jones VC