rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Disappointing behaviour
Alan
Site Admin

Dear Forum members,

I have become involved in an issue of payment between two parties who
entered into an agreement via the rorkesdriftvc.com Marketplace.

I placed an advertisement in the 'Wanted' section in May 2006, free of charge for an American, Mr. Ron Byrd. He wanted to buy a Zulu shield and other artifacts. A forum member responded and made an arrangement with Mr. Byrd. A price was agreed and the items dispatched to the USA in good faith. The payment for these items never arrived and numerous emails from Julie Stevenson and myself have failed to result in payment, despite promises over a six month period.

Although the website does make it clear that responsibility for payments are the concern of the parties involved, we do feel an obligation to afford any assistance that we can to resolve the matter. To that end I wish to draw this matter to the attention of members and provide details of Mr. Byrd because of his failure to pay for goods in his possession. This may help someone else in the future.

I could have considered placing RDVC as the banker until goods are received, and may offer that service in future to avoid regrettable cases such as this.

He is:
Mr. Ronald Byrd,
R.L. Byrd & Associates/Artist Factory
1741 Commerce Drive
Atlanta, Georgia 30318
USA

Still no response from Mr. Byrd.

Alan:

I see they're on the web. Phone number area code in Atlanta 404-352-0404....
just an fyi.....I see from the site that they're on "The Anger Management Tour" with ludacris and eminem.....
son
clive dickens

Alan
My son has had the same problem not with this site but the offender was also from the USA it appears that the much vaunted"Special Relationship "does no extend paying their debts so the message appears to be stay clear of the USA.
Clive
Alan
Site Admin

To be fair, all my dealings with our American friends has been trouble free. It's just unfortunate that this happened as it did.

Ouch, Clive! That's rather a sweeping and damning statement to make on the basis of a rather small sample - of precisely one! Sad

I have dealt with clients/customers all over the English-speaking world for eighteen years, with every single case and transaction based upon trust - and trust alone - and without the protection of even the smallest backup measure, other than my own experience and instincts. Along with Australia, NZ, S Africa and Canada, the US has been prominently represented in my client base - and I have not yet had to chase a single cent, the word of the client being also his or her bond.

Perhaps I've been lucky, or perhaps my experience (and, it would also appear, all of Alan's other dealings) provides a more accurate picture overall.

Peter
Rich

The time is right!..... Wink .....

***FOR SALE****
Absolutely and indubitably...authentic 1879 British army ammo box (only one assegai nick on top of box due to rough handling), only 1 of 2 found on the field of Isandhlwana and eventually used as Cetshwayo's footstool in his kraal. A one time sale only. This'll go quick folks! To purchase, a phone call can easily suffice. Just note account and password so funds could be dispensed.

KWAZULURICHENTERPRISES USA.......an easy-pay North American company....registered with the 4B's....British Better Business Bureau....
Alan
Site Admin

I'll have it Rich, you send it and when it arrives I'll think about paying you.

....a pint for you me boy a pint for you!... Cool
Purchase Protection.
TonyJones

Dear All,
if the person who purchased this piece of kit,paid for it
on their credit or debit card,they could possibly pursue compensation through the relative issuer of the card.
There are certain guidelines that all recipients of funds paid to
them via credit or debit card must adhere to,otherwise they will
have their right to receive money through these means blocked.
It's unfortunate that this incident has occurred,that is contary
to the inherent trust that pervades this community.

Tony.
Simon Rosbottom

I think the point is that he didn't pay for it. It was sent and the money never received.

Site Admin

I have been very generously offered the services of an American attorney to look in to the matter, free of charge. This is very kind and I hope that the matter may yet be resolved.

that's good Alan...I'm sorry you have to go through this from my neck of the woods....I'll say though you appear to have pretty good composure..I kind of go nuts on things like that...outside of legal representation if you need anything to check things I'll be glad to help....(heh heh how many years Americans get for not paying certain debts????...Wink....
Alan
Site Admin

Rich,
The problem is that he is so far away. If it was in the UK we could pay a visit. I also have to say that he bought some items from the RDVC shop. That time, he came to my house on a visit to the UK and paid for the items in cash. I had no reason to suspect that he would be dishonourable. You live an learn.

Disappointing behaviour