rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Royal Natal Hotel?
Sawubona

I haven't yet gotten a copy of the book about the making of the film Zulu and this question is probably answered therein, but I'll ask now anyway. Was that now abandonded hotel (The Royal Natal Hotel, I think) active during the filming of "ZULU"? Does anyone know when it was built and why and when it was closed down? Was it run by the South African National Park Service or was it private? It seems like such a waste of a breathtaking location (and a sacred place at that LOL) and a still restorable structure (well, some of it anyway) and I imagine it could be booked pretty well with the proper "presentation".
Sheldon Hall

The Royal Natal National Park Hotel was indeed used by the cast and crew of ZULU, along with the Mont-aux-Sources Hotel. My understanding is that a restoration project of some sort is under way: whether it will be used as a hotel, museum or tourist centre I'm not sure. Check the website of KZN newspaper The Witness and there may be more details from my local contact, Stephen Coan.
Sawubona

Much thanks for the response, Sheldon. I suspected such must be the case and I appreciate the affirmation. I was fortunate to have been able to visit The RNNP and asked a grizzled Zulu ranger at the visitor center about the location of the filming and he directed me to the old hotel site as he recalled their making the movie nearby to it when he was a kid. I regret now I didn't prime him further for an anecdote or three! I did check the links you suggested and found that there is some renovation/restoration talk in the winds, but it's not much past the planning phase at this point. Thanks again.
Royal Natal Hotel?