Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Coll

Alan

I've only mentioned him once or twice Wink - in almost every posting ! Laughing

Coll
Michael Boyle

Coll

I haven't quite finished it yet so will reserve most comment until I have but yes, Col. Durnford is well (?) represented in the pages as well he should be given his responsibility of providing for the organization of half the total invasion force. (In a broader sense at least.)

Even at this stage I can't help but say this book is a "must read" for anyone interested in the A-ZW. I found it has given me a depth of understanding and appreciation for the NNC and NNMC that I hadn't even realized I'd lacked. Like many here I suspect, I seem to have had sub-consciously relegated the Natal Native component of the A-ZW to an 'also ran' status of secondary interest. That is no longer the case.

The best aspect of this book, to me, are the voluminous footnotes, containing multiple citations, that Mr. Thompson provides for almost all the assertions he makes. (Which is not to say I concur with all of them or that an argument cannot be made for, or against, many!)

[If you're wondering about the question mark above, Durnford is not given a 'free ride' but his actions are considered in context and with the respect we, at least, feel he deserves.]

Best

Michael
Coll

Michael

Excellent Very Happy

Many Thanks

Coll
Keith Smith

Michael

A gentle reproof - it is Dr Thompson, retired professor of History, University of KwaZulu-Natal. But I am sure he would not be upset at being referred to as 'Mr'. He is a most unassuming gentleman, not to mention a very fine scholar.

KIS
Michael Boyle

Right then, Dr. Thompson it is, we'll just write it off as my being a grossly informal Yank, although including even a "Mr." could be seen as a step up for us! (Being an ex-pat I trust he'll understand!)

MAB
Coll

Hooray !

My copy of ' Black Soldiers of the Queen.' arrived today Very Happy

Coll
Coll

Finally got around to reading 'Black Soldiers of the Queen'.

I wasn't disappointed - the book is great. Very Happy

Coll
AMB

Coll et al,

I note that the 'Black Soldiers of the Queen' is a reprint of Dr Thompson's 1997 work, The Natal native Contingent in the AZW. However, how does this latest book differ from the 2003 edition of the 1997 work?

AMB
Black Soldiers Of The Queen. by P.S. Thompson