rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
John Lundy

Hi,
I have just registered and have an interested in the 19th Century in terms of the American Indian Wars, the Anglo-Zulu and Boer Wars. I lived in South Africa for several years and have my PhD from the University of the Witwatersrand in Johannesburg. Of particular interest to me is Rorke's Drift and whilst I did not make it there when I was living in Africa, I hope to visit the site in the near future. I hope to learn more about Rorke's Drift and the Ango-Zulu war from you more learned folks.

Thanks,
John
Alan
Site Admin

Welcome John.

Hi there

Just introducing myself to this discussion forum. I have visited the RDVC site on many occasions but I've only just registered as a contributor to the forum.

I have just recently returned from my second trip to KZN and to The Battlefields in particular, and I plan to submit pictures and some supporting blurb on the RDVC site in the hope that they might be posted on the site.

Of particular interest to me are of course the Rorke's Drift and Isandlwana (the latter of which I photographed in the snow!) battle sites. But I was fortunate enough to also visit Ulundi, Gingindlovu, Nyzane and Eshowe, and the site of the death of The Prince Imperial.

Slightly "off topic" maybe, but the film 'Zulu' was the catalyst for most of us with an interest in the Anglo-Zulu Wars, I spent a completely fascinating day and a half strolling around the 'Zulu' film location in The Drakensberg, lining up favourite scenes from the film with my camera. Yep, I've got it bad!!! Very Happy

I hope to submit pictures etc in due course, and hope that they might be of interest to others.

Anyway, my aim for now was to drop in and say "hello"!!

All the best,

Tony
Alan
Site Admin

Good to have you here Tony. If you want, you could put your trip in the 'your stories' section. Just send your story and images,

Just thought I would post, at last! I've been lurking for a while and reading alot of posts,..but finally registered last week!
I have to say my main interest is Sir Stanley Baker,..I've been a fan for around 20 years now,..so obviously Zulu is a much watched film in my household!
Good to see its being re issued again in November!
All the best.
Lerica