rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Coll

Mike

Not a Durnford question, but could it be Chelmsford didn't dismiss Durnford outright, possibly thinking that it would have a serious effect on the morale of the native units, especially those chiefs and tribes that Durnford in particular was on 'good terms' with ?

To have him dismissed may have caused them to lose heart even before they crossed the river to fight the Zulu.

As I say, not a Durnford question, and one which may have been asked before, but I get the feeling Chelmsford was in a rush to get the invasion 'going' and delays just annoyed him, and trying to replace a senior officer, so late in the day, especially one in charge of N.N.C. and N.N.H. would be infuriating.

Remember, the idea of an 'Isandlwana' happening, was the furthest from anybody's mind, the chances of such a defeat remote.

It reminds me of a comment (actual account ?) where mention is made that Durnford was dead, there was no point (Rorke's Drift N.N.H. perhaps ?)

I wonder if he had still been alive and with them, they'd have stayed at Rorke's Drift ?

This is Chelmsford and the native units I'm asking about Mike, not looking for an argument about Col. D.

Coll
mike snook 2

Rich

The reason for the letter as opposed to a damned good rollicking is their physical separation at that juncture - Chelmsford at RD and Durnford at Middle Drift.

Coll

You make a perfectly sustainable point - it may well have been precisely that sort of thinking that stopped Lord C taking the ultimate sanction. Also he was short of senior officers, of course, and getting rid of D at that late stage would have left him with the problem of backfilling the command of No 2 Column.

But Lord C took the line of least resistance - and that is what I am criticizing him for - if you don't as a general officer think one of your subordinates is up to commanding operationally, then he's got to go. I don't know much about Maj Bengough, (I'll look him up in the Army List a bit later) but he might possibly have been the right sort to take over the column at short notice - only one rank junior to Durnford (although we know that D was actually 2 ranks senior, in London at least, due to the December gazetting of his colonelcy).

The fact that Lord C went even further after sleeping on D's failing to follow his campaign plan by deciding, effectively, to break up No 2 Column and bring him under direct control lends collateral to the notion that he had lost confidence in him as an independent commander. But my point is Chelmford focussed - that what he did amounted to a wooly compromise, when what was really needed was a good dose of the Sir Alan Sugar approach..... you're fired!! But that's no good Coll, because then what would we have to talk about...? Very Happy

Regards as ever

Mike
Keith Smith

Mike

It's interesting that you suggest Bengough as an alternative for Durnford. On his way out to South Africa, and with no real knowledge of isiZulu, he wrote a primer on the language which was sold to officers and men for a shilling. It was advertised in General Orders, if my memory serves.

On the other hand, he was given a rocket by Lord C. for disbanding his NNC battalion after Isandlwana (because they were deserting in droves after meeting men from the 3rd Regt NNC on the road) and gathered them up again. He served with them right through to Ulundi, altho' they did prove something of a trial.

KIS
mike snook 2

Hi Keith

He has no special entry for campaign service in Hart's of 1879, where unsurprisingly his current employment is shown as on special service in the Cape. He is, though, shown as a graduate of the staff college. He has a brevet to major in Oct 77 and substantive rank in Feb 78. Capt in Dec 64.

Regards

Mike
Keith Smith

Mike

The following is an extract from my notes on Bengough:

"Major Harcourt Mortimer Bengough, appointed to the command of the 2nd Battalion, 1st Regiment NNC on 9th December 1878, was born 25th November 1837. He was added to the Commander-in-Chief�s list of potential officers in February 1853, aged barely 16. He was commissioned second-lieutenant by purchase in the 77th Regiment on 22nd March 1855 and lieutenant on 3rd October of the same year, achieving his captaincy by purchase on 30th December 1864. He was granted a brevet majority on 1st October 1877 which was made substantive on 2nd February 1878.
Bengough had served in the Crimea towards the end of that war, and had also seen service in Australia and India. He had a facility with languages which proved useful when he produced a booklet on the Zulu language on his way out from England. The booklet was printed and offered for sale in the Colony, with a useful mention in General Orders and in the local press, but it was not officially required."

KIS
Coll

Mike

Thanks for your reply.

Coll
WHAT WE LEARNED FROM...Isandlwana