rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Rich

heh heh When I watched Elizabeth I saw none other than the great Cantona and flipped. How did he get that role? Did the French FA push for it??? Hey he was good on the pitch but boy that thespian won't run!... Wink

And we've had the luxury of seeing some great dames (can I use that word today??) being in the role of Liz...there's Betty, Judi, Gwen and Helen. I'd give a vote or Gwen but I don't know. Was Liz a gal who'd consistently always have men looking at her with a crick in their neck?.. Cool.
Sheldon Hall

For me the major weakness of ELIZABETH (which I didn't rewatch at the weekend) is in the way it's directed: very self-consciously, with many pointless camera movements or attention-drawing angles (the overhead shots of the stake-burning, for instance), all of which suggest to me a director trying too hard to impress. I disliked ATONEMENT for similar reasons - esp. the beach scene with its five-minute-long tracking shot, all bombastic rhetoric and trying-too-hard cleverness. The trailers for ELIZABETH: THE GOLDEN AGE fill me with dread... but no doubt I'll see it anyway!
Rich

Sheldon...wasn't it directed by an Indian fellow (name escapes me right now) and from what I recall he wanted to present Elizabeth in a different way than the way she was presented before? i.e. you get sort of a different approach with an "Indian" director than say an "English" one. I haven't seen any trailers yet but as I like films on those olden days I hope they or the Indian fellow doesn't bungle it up like another film that went kind of in another direction for me.... Wink.......and btw that director isn't consistent say in the popularity of his films...he's certainly had his hits and misses I think...
Law as Bromhead! Hope not