rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
The Zulu War (& Boer) for kids
Alan
Site Admin

My brother teaches or talks at his local school and the subject arose of the Zulu War and the Boer War. He has a certain knowledge of these subjects but asked me if there was a 'potted' history book about them. Something along the lines of 'I spy' books (I think they were called). It was because they were so interested, aged about 10 years old, that he asked me to check. If there is such a source, I would appreciate being pointed in its direction.
Failing that, if anyone is prepared to produce a document which gives a broad outline of events in either Word or Powerpoint, I'm sure it might be useful to this and possibly other schools.
We have covered the lack of interest in certain aspects of history in schools and this seems to be a positive response from the children and a desire to find out more.

Hi/ There is a series called "Men at Arms" which covers dozens of incidents in military history, and there is a book in this series, "The Zulu War," by Angus Mcbride. Worth a look.
Alan
Site Admin

Tony,
Strangley enough I find I have two copies of the Zulu War No.57 version. I'll send one to my brother. Unfortunately, it may be a little too long winded for 10 year olds so I would still hope that there may be a slightly more 'potted' version. Hope someone can help.

Alan

Would it for the children to read themselves or for your brother to use as a sort of crib-sheet for the teacher/speaker?

Peter
Alan
Site Admin

Peter,
I would suppose that it could be using TV screens and sheets for them to take away as well as displays to enhance a talk. If anyone is interested in furthering it I could check with my brother. Thanks for the response.

Alan,

How about the Zulu War (My Story) by Vince Cross, which is aimed at a younger audience.

I could cobble together a PowerPoint, but the way things are at work at present it would take about three weeks to put it together.

John Y.
Alan
Site Admin

John,
sounds good and thank you for the offer. I don't think timing is a problem. I just reckon it would be a worthwhile thing to do. It could possibly be sent to other schools.

Last edited by Alan on Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

Alan,

Have you tried the National Army Museum? They have a very good dept that deals with schools and alike.

AMB
Alan
Site Admin

AMB,
I'll try them. I'm sure they're on line. Thanks.

Alan,

Sorry, should have put this link in:

http://www.national-army-museum.ac.uk/

AMB
a.j

I'm doing a talk/presentation about the Victorian military in general but I am also talking about two conflicts of the period: The Crimean War and the Zulu War.

I'm doing a few hand-outs for them and a question and answer session and shwoing some videos! Have a guess what one of them is!!!

It's happening in January

I'll let you how it goes.
Colin Fielding

There was a guy at the Portsmouth event earlier this year who does a brief(15 mins. or so) but brilliantly entertaining rendition of Rorke's Drift using fruit and veg. and volunteers from the audience. The majority of the audience were indeed around the age of 10. I believe he lives in Norfolk but obviously doesn't mind travelling (although this was a week-end). He may well have been associated with one of the re-enactment groups i.e. The Diehards.

Best regards, Colin Fielding
Alan
Site Admin

a.j & Colin,
many thanks for all this information. My brother lives in Cheshire but this all sounds quite promising. Perhaps I should get a folio together for schools. Peter (my son) is a school govenor as well but in Hertfordshire.

Alan

Can certainly endorse JY's recommendation for The Zulu War in the My Story series for youngsters. It may be a way to help them follow up their involvement and reading after your brother's input - as well as lead them on to all the other titles in the series.

Peter
The Zulu War (& Boer) for kids