rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Army Museum - ZULU lecture
leightarrant

Hi team - Just a quick review, and thankyou to Sheldon hall for his lecture at the National Army Museum in Chelsea, London. A good time was had by one and all. Firstly at 11am there was a showing of ZULU (New DVD) followed by a talk by Sheldon highlighting some of his ingenious examples of ZULU - The Making of book which has recently surpassed itself in sales and recognition. Sheldon spoke for about 90 minutes, emphasizing many points about the way ZULU was made, and his much exhaustive research, which, took about 3 years to do, in writing the book. some particular points of interest were about the ZULU theme music, and where John Barry had got his original ideas (From the ZULU dance themes themselves) and also some interesting comparisons on this theme within other movies etc. We were also treated to some very rare 'making of' footage which cast and crew had personally shot, and not seen on the recent DVD release, and also two very rare Stanley Baker interviews, which, was noted, that he chain smoked throughout the second interview!
Also shown was a rare interview with John Prebble, which again, was of high interest and never seen before. A Q&A session followed afterwards with particular points made about the way the ZULU people felt about the production, historical versus screenplay discrepenses, and also a note about the absense of an interview with Michael Caine for the book, to which, actually didn't matter at all as the book doesn't require the Caine influence to reflect over the film producers and production values. So overall an entertaining afternoon out, and one came away feeling like there could have been at least another two hours of lecture and insight, if only we were allowed more time! Thankyou Sheldon, and see you at the next one....albeit......Bradford. Thanks also should go to the people at the museum who kindly gave us their premiere gallery to show the film and have the lecture. Nice one.
Mel

Thanks for that Leigh. Like many others I not only enjoy seeing the film but also have a particular interest in the film making process. Sheldon's book is, indeed, a well researched fascinating read.

Sheldon,
Have you any plans to lecture in the Birmingham area?

Leigh,
Many thanks for these kind words. It was great to meet you and put a face to a name at last!

Mel,
The talk on Saturday was given at the invitation of NAM, but I did in fact visit Birmingham to introduce a screening of the film and give a short talk afterwards at MAC a couple of years ago, just after the book came out. I don't have any further talks planned at present, but I'm always open to offers - always free for weddings, bar mitzvahs, etc...

Sheldon
Re: Army Museum - ZULU lecture
Lerica9

[quote="leightarrant"] We were also treated to some very rare 'making of' footage which cast and crew had personally shot, and not seen on the recent DVD release, and also two very rare Stanley Baker interviews, which, was noted, that he chain smoked throughout the second interview!
quote]

Oh!! I knew there would be a reason that I should have pulled out of what I had on that day, to go! What a pity they couldn't be shown on the new DVD though. There's so little shown of Sir Stanley being interviewed.

Thanks for your report though Leigh!
Sheldon Hall

Actually, some of the footage I showed on Saturday IS on the new DVD - plus some material of a similar nature I didn't show! There's a lot more where it came from, so hopefully the opportunity will arise when it can be released to a wider public (plans are in the works, but no news as yet).
Lerica9

Excellent, many thanks Sheldon. My new edition is hopefully being delivered by the big man in a red suit, so I'll have to wait till then to see it all. But that's exciting news that there's alot more to be seen, and hopefully your plans will work out for it all soon then!
Army Museum - ZULU lecture