rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
NEW PRINCE IMPERIAL BOOK
AMB

Dear All,

Details of a new book pertaining to the Prince Imperial:

End of a Dynasty. The Last Days of the Prince Imperial, Zululand 1879 by Deleage, Paul (author), and Fleur Webb (translator) (Pietermaritzburg: University of KwaZulu-Natal Press, 2007) 240 x 170 mm; laminated pictorial wraps; pp. 284. Introduction and notes by Bill Guest.
�Paul Deleage, a young correspondent attached to the prestigious French newspaper Le Figaro, was sent to report on the Prince Imperial�s African adventure during the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879. In fact, Deleage was the only French journalist to the cover the war. His account of the three months he spent with the British High Command, to which the Prince Louis Napoleon was seconded, was published in French 125 years ago. This translation from the original (Trois Mois Chez les Zoulous) brings to life an extraordinary piece of history. It provides a unique and intimate picture of the last few months in the life of the French Prince Imperial, before his death by assegai in a lonely valley in Africa.�

I was notified about the book by Lindsay Christison, Christison Rare Books
P O Box 24093, Sherwood, Port Elizabeth, 6034, South Africa
Email: [email protected]

AMB
Keith Smith

Those wishing to purchase can check the publisher's website at http://www.unpress.co.za/index.php. I'm not sure that you can still buy direct from them by mail order.

KIS
AMB

My copy of End of a Dynasty, The Last Days of the Prince Imperial, Zululand 1879 has now arrived. A typically well produced paperback by the University of KwaZulu-Natal Press.

Being a translation of Paul Deleage's 1879 book about the time he spent as a [French] journalist with the British Army in Zululand, it is a welcome addition to my library. Sadly, I do not speak French and therefore the original, Trois Mois Chez les Zoulous, has always been missing from my shelves.

AMB
NEW PRINCE IMPERIAL BOOK