rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Martini-Henry Boxers and a New Book
Michael Boyle

Alan, I hope I'm not over stepping the bounds here but I think the following may be of interest to many M-H shooters here on the forum.

Having already paid USD $20/rd. for converted brass shotgun ammo I came across the following -

(Site removed by editor)

which offers reproduction Boxers (drawn not rolled and with smokeless rather black powder) at only USD $5/rd. and a re-load service for only USD $2.50/rd. (Of course the purists amongst us will re-load our own with black powder!) Unfortunately they're not for sale outside the US or even in the State of New Jersey. The fact that they're back in production would seem to indicate a rising interest in M-H shooting again and that's a good thing.

At the bottom right of the page is an offer for a new privately printed book entitled "The Martini-Henry Notebook" by Malcolm Cobb. A bit pricey at USD $59.95 but hey, that's only about one and six at the current exchange rate right?!

Best

Michael
Neil Aspinshaw

Michael

Sorry to be a pooper here, the post could cause trouble here, I am a regular Martini shooter, Firearm certifcate holder and Black Powder/ antique firearm committee member of my Rifle club

The laws are completely different over here in the UK and we have to be very careful Martinis that are shot have to be on a firearms Certificate, even blank firers. As most of the regulars are based here in the UK it's worth making the case before anyone thinks "great thats a good idea" and buying some.

A word of caution to any UK forum members, do not be tempted to buy some rounds for your Antique status Martini piece, if you make it go BANG then it'll have to be on a UK firearms certificate even blanks.

As for ammunition, if you do not have a firearm certificate and you attempt to buy ready made ammo you are in for a whole raft of problems, not only must you have that calibre of ammuniton on your possess section of a firearm certificate, if you don't plod will have a field day, if you actually own the ammuntion then in plods eyes you have a live firearm, and my are you in for trouble, even if you buy blanks and again the wrath of plod be above you.

Alan
Without wanting to upset Michael I would suggest removing this link, it's asking for potential trouble.
Neil

Neil

Actually not a temptation for anyone outside the US (or New Jersey) as they will absolutely not ship ammo outside the US. (We do have ammo export laws here too!) They won't even ship their de-militarized weapons anywhere that it would be illegal. They will however ship the book! After Christmas I plan to purchase it and will let you know if it's worth the price.

Best

Michael
Neil Aspinshaw

Michael
Already got the book, excellent it is too.

I appreciate your comments about the ammo, its just that someone reading this might think it is OK to purchase ammunition, and end up in a whole raft of hurt with the law in the UK.
As I put in my message even the ownership of the ammunition (apart from inert) in the is a criminal offence.

Neil