rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Sawubona

Peter,
Somebody has to ask: What is "Scouse" and why are they called "Geordies" (even I can't corrupt pronunciation enough to get from "Newcastle" to "Geordie")?
diagralex

As I understand it, Scouse is a dish of steak and onions. Originally, it was a meal commonly eaten by sailors, and as Liverpool was a main seafaring port, the name of the dish became connected to sailors using the port. Eventually the population of the whole area became known as Scousers.

Geordie is a bit more difficult. The reason that I know is that the area of Newcastle was a strong mining area. The miners used a safety lamp invented by George Stephenson and was called a Georgie or Geordie lamp. Other miners in other areas used the Davy Lamp. I am sure that there are many other versions of the name though.

Graham
David Glynne Fox

Coll,
Just to bring this back to your original question. The scripts were indeed photocopies, I bought a set. The Burt Reynolds signature is also of course a photocopy. The scripts nevertheless are very interesting. I was also the one who purchased the Peter O' Toole helmet. A nice piece. I have checked it closely against film stills and it does appear to be the genuine article. I have only just managed to get back on site after a long delay through a computer virus. Hope this helps. Regards, David

David

Congratulations on your purchases.

Is Peter O'Toole's sun helmet sitting pride of place somewhere ?

May I ask about the scripts -

Is the 'Zulu Dawn' script, much the same as it is online to read ?

Does the 'Zulu' script, match the film as it appeared, or does it have any extra scenes which weren't included during filming ?

Thankyou

Coll
David Glynne Fox

Hi Coll,
Yes, the helmet has pride of place in my studio along with all my other Zulu war artifacts. I also have a tunic and Martini Henry from the film Zulu. It seems that film memorabilia can be almost as expensive as the real thing.

I haven't seen the on-line script from Zulu Dawn so really comment on that, but there are a number of sequences on the Zulu final shooting script which differ from the actual released film, which demonstrates that changes were being made even at the last minute. This was confirmed last Friday when I met Lady Ellen Baker, Stanley's lovely wife and his son Glyn. Changes were constantly being made throughout the whole shooting period, which one would expect filming such an epic in the field.

I hope this is of use.
Regards
David

Site Admin

David,
the script is in the Zulu Dawn section here as a PDF file.
http://www.rorkesdriftvc.com/zulu_dawn.htm

David

Thanks for letting me know.

Coll
David Glynne Fox

Many thanks Alan, most useful.
Regards
David