rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Peter Ewart

Coll

Slightly surprised at your own surprise at Lancaster's reported remark that he was pleased the British were defeated at Isandlwana.

Why wouldn't he be? Being neither a Zulu nor a Briton himself, he would presumably regard himself as neutral, and one would hope that most neutrals who learn of a violent, unprovoked military attack on a neighbouring, friendly, independent, sovereign state (however long ago or simplified the argument) would naturally wish for that unwarranted attack to fail. As it initially did. Only the principle of "might is right" provided the eventual wherewithal for that attack to subsequently succeed militarily. And the principle of "might is right" continued to prevail for another 115 years, although fortunately Burt lived (by the skin of his teeth) to see the day when that principle was finally defeated. Who knows, perhaps he thought of Durnford and the other British invaders when that day came?

After all, it's surely only exactly the same as what you'd have expected him to say if asked, for example, about the German invasion of Poland, isn't it?

Peter
Coll

Ulzana's Raid was as good as I remember.

However, I noticed the cuts, which caught my attention, due to the fact, that the cut scenes were missing from the dvd, but in the television version were included. instead of the other way about. Confused

Coll
Coll

Peter

You have a point. However, it depends where Lancaster made this comment (if he did)

If it was on the set of 'Zulu Dawn', it (sort of) proves there was no 'heart' in the film. I like to hear of actors who study and research their characters and somehow identify with them. To say he was glad the British got beaten on the set, would have been wrong, and would not have done the publicity for the film any favours.

If it was later, well, in a way, you can disconnect the actor from the film, as looking on it as ''just another acting job'.

Everyone is entitled to their views, but if in a position of strength, as in this case a celebrated actor, you need to watch your words.

I'd like to think that he knew of (through research) that Durnford, when in the Boundary Commission, voted in the Zulu favour. That the point in the film, where he mentioned Bushman's Pass, which I may add, he portrayed as being somewhat proud of, meant something to him. Knowing the Zulus as he did, but acknowledging his duties as a British soldier, caused him to fight the very people he appeared to defend.

A bit deep for an actor, Peter, I know, but maybe he saw what Durnford saw, fighting a battle that needn't be fought, against a people not looking for conflict ?

That's how I hoped Sheldon could supply more details about Burt's thoughts. But I'll guess we'll never know.

Best

Coll
Peter Ewart

Coll

Well, he was apparently not impressed at all with the workings of apartheid, as according to the lady in the film the white actors were strictly forbidden from fraternising with the Zulu participants, extras or otherwise. The unpleasant tension between the local director & the Zulus apparently spread to all, with plenty of threats and some violence.

The exploitation of the Africans taking part in in the film - pay, food, shelter - did not go unnoticed by the whites and the Zulus' discontent apparently led to Lancaster directing some of the scenes involving them, and eventually also the major scenes involving large numbers of Zulus, by which time some of the Africans with speaking parts were so nervous that whites were "blacked up" to take their place. The final attack into the camp of the Zulu army was, according to Anna Calder-Marshall (I've just looked up her name as I didn't know it) actually the real thing, as they were all so angry and they didn't stop when they were supposed to, making those taking the part of the British soldiers & other film crew terrified, some of whom were knocked about. (They also "didn't take their shots" - as we used to say when kids - and also got up again to fight when not supposed to!). You probably know all this already.

Lancaster was apparently always calm and dignified during all the problems on the set and was respected by the Zulu actors, so you may have a point that he gave it some thought. If he did ever make the remark, it seems the above may be the reason.

Peter
Mel

Coll
Just trawled through some of my videos and found an interview with Burt Lancaster which was done during the filming of ZD.
He obviously researched Durnford and is full of admiration for him. I don't think he saw the role as just another acting job. He remarks on Durnfords leadership and the mutual respect between Durnford and his men. There are no derogatory remarks about the outcome of Isandlwana.

Peter

Thanks for your reply.

Mel

That is absolutely fantastic news ! Very Happy

I'll enjoy watching 'Zulu Dawn' even more than I do already, with the knowledge he knew something about Durnford, instead of just being a character he was portraying.

I very much appreciate this information.

Thankyou.

Coll

PS. Can I ask what video version the interview is on, please ?
Mel

Coll
I have misplaced your address. Please e mail me and I'll send you a copy of the interview.

Interviewed by the Natal Witness at the time the film was made Lancaster said that although Zulu Dawn didn't make any political points - "they are there to be seen. The problems were very like those America faced with the Indians. In both cases there was an inability to understand the other group's point of view." He said he found the role a new experience because he had "to deal with it in terms of the morality of the time." He added that there would also be plenty in the movie for lovers of "blood and thunder".

Stephen Coan
Coll

Mel

That would be excellent !

I'll get my address to you as soon as I can.

Thankyou very much.

Coll
R. Kitchener

I think I would add "From Here To Eternity" to your list. I think Lancaster does a magnificent job bringing Firts Sergeant Warden to life.
"Gather Round, Lads and Lassies, Gather Round!"
yankee

I am surprised that no one has mentioned Lancaster's most enjoyable film, "The Crimson Pirate" with his pal and fellow acrobat Nick Cravat. The film is what a pirate movie should be, full of swash and buckle, good score, tall ships with their sails set on the high seas, and a pretty girl to woo!

The scenes with the overturned rowboat are a hoot! And where else can you see a balloon and nitro, machine guns & a flamethrower being developed by a Ben Franklin look-a-like inventor to beat the bad guys?

Also, it's a great family movie to laugh and cheer over!!!! Very Happy Very Happy
Sheldon Hall

Look out in THE CRIMSON PIRATE for Joe Powell (Sgt Windridge in "Zulu"), in one of his first big stunt gigs... and I rather like THE FLAME AND THE ARROW, too (with Burt as "Dardo the Arrow" and Nick C in tow).
Coll

'Vera Cruz' with Gary Cooper and 'The Scalphunters' with Telly Savalas, are 2 films I liked him in.

Also, maybe 'The Hallelujah Trail' which I found amusing.

Coll
Sheldon Hall

Okay, here are a few more Burt vehicles to put on your "must see" lists:

The Killers (1946)
Brute Force
Criss Cross
Apache
The Unforgiven (1960)
Birdman of Alcatraz
The Leopard
Seven Days in May
The Swimmer
Twilight's Last Gleaming

And that's still just scratching the surface of his filmography. The man had a damn fine career, if you ask me.
Rich

Sheldon..You made me check what he did...amazing...such a versatile actor...who can come lose to him today?...

Yes, we're the ones who "saw the Atlantic Ocean" in "those" days"....with Burt in the film biz that is!...........Wink..
Question For Sheldon - About Two Other Burt Lancaster Films