rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Riflemen Form. by Ian Beckett
Coll

Isandlwana got me interested in the Colonial Volunteer units, specifically the N.C. and N.M.P.

This book appears to deal with U.K.-based(?) Volunteers.

Lt. Gen. Garnet Wolseley, apparently commented on the creation of the volunteers and what an important event it was in history. (can't remember his exact words)

Is it true that these volunteer units in the late 19th/early 20th Century, led on to the creation of what has become the T.A. ?

Thanks

Coll
AMB

Coll,

Colonial volunteer units were the forerunners of modern SA units. NC are now part of the SA Army, the SANDF, whilst the NMP became the Natal Police in 1893 and part of the SA Police in 1913.

The TA was based upon volunteer British-based units, such as the militias and Yoemanary units.

AMB
Coll

AMB

Thanks for your reply. Wink

Coll
AMB

Coll,

NC & NMP further reading:

Rev John Stalker's The Natal Carbineers. The History of the Regiment from its Foundation, 15th January 1855, to 30th June 1911.

AF Hattersley's Carbineer: The History of the Royal Natal Carbineers

Mark Coghlan's Pro patria: Another 50 Natal Carbineer years 1945 to 1995

and

Maj AA Wood's Natal Past and Present. [Natal Mounted Police 1874 - 1894, Natal Police, 1894 -13, SAMR 1913-21, etc]

Holt's The Mounted Police of Natal.

All well worth space on your bookshelf - if not already there!

AMB
Martin Everett

The TA infantry evolved out of on the County based 'Rifle Volunteers' formed from 1859 onwards. These infantry units became the Volunteer Battalions of the line infantry - in the case of the 24th South Wales Borderers - there were 5 battalions in South and Mid Wales. They provided 3 volunteer companies (about 115 men each) - each spending one year in South Africa during the Anglo-Boer war. Their efforts prompted the formation of the Territorial Force in 1908. Ian Beckett is writing a new book on the TA for the centenary in April this year.

Coll

Martin

Thankyou for the details.

Once again I am indebted to you.

I know I'm a nuisance, but my heart's in the right place. Wink

The book you informed me about, regarding LBH/Isandlwana, Custer/Durnford, is my favourite. Very Happy

Your good health.

Coll
Coll

AMB

I've got Stalker's 'The Natal Carbineers'.

I'm sure it was Holt's 'The Mounted Police Of Natal' I was hoping D.P.& G. Publishers would eventually reprint.

Coll
Riflemen Form. by Ian Beckett