rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Peter Ewart

Rich

Yes, that's yet another I saw as a lad when it came out, but as I haven't seen it since I can't remember much. Had forgotten it was Kenneth More & wouldn't have had a clue who had taken any female roles. Seem to recall the Altmark prison ship also featured, unless I've read about it somewhere else.

If I remember correctly (I'm going back nearly 50 years so I'm probably wrong!) the end of the film contained Churchill's "end of the beginning" speech, which I therefore assumed must have been delivered in response to the news of the sinking, whereas he was, in fact, referring to the El Alamein victory later in the war. An example of director's licence, I suppose, although it had me assuming an erroneous genesis of the phrase for years. Films!!!

As regards El Alamein, you're right. I can't think of a film devoted to it, unless one was made which has disappeared without trace. What a surprise, given Monty's profile in the '50s. (I'm surprised he didn't commission one himself!!!) And when one thinks of all the RAF blockbusters in the '50s and early '60s, how strange that Battle of Britain took so long to emerge. Still, when it was finally made it did mean it was made in colour.

Now that we live in the age of DVDs, I think it's time I had another look at some of these films I saw as a lad, as I can't remember a thing about most of them. (As one good book equals ten good films, it'll take a while). I came across Dunkirk by accident on Italian TV with sub-titles in a Rome hotel room about 25 years ago, and immediately cancelled our evening plans, as I had not seen it since its first release & wanted to recognise all the streets, cottages and sand dunes I knew as a boy. Eighteen months ago I happened to be in Redcar, near Middlesbrough, & relatives took us to the beach where the Dunkirk scene in Atonement was being made. It was a Sunday and we were free to wander all over the set as the tide came in, and I have to say it looked unbelievably authentic. I looked at some 1940 film & snapshots later and could see they'd copied everything faithfully down to the last red boatsail and each marooned vehicle. Haven't seen the film, but I wonder if I am the only man in the world to have wandered about the "Dunkirk beaches" of both these film settings - 48 years apart?

I can't say I've ever been impressed by American war films but I do remember watching something by the name of Pork Chop Hill (Korea?) and Westerns were a must, although they had to contain very frightening "injuns" to be any good - or John Wayne, or both. One, in colour, called Tonka (involving LBH) springs to mind. And what about Kenneth More in The Sherriff of Fractured Jaw? Laugh? I nearly wet myself! Enough.

Peter
Simon Rosbottom

Whist I might like older women, I draw the line somewhere before 77 years old!

Peter:
Yes, it's amazing how much of our childhood connects up with films.
To this day I still love Jason and the Argonauts. Nigel Green in there trying to get those golden doors under Talos open and the skeletons attacking the Greek soldiers. Doenn pretty well before CG and all that.

And regarding El Alamein, I have a ref which shows that 2 films were made. One was a US production done by a director Fred Sears and another was an Italian one back 40+ plus years ago. I have to say that I think these really didn't make any headway with the movie-going public around the world. hey maybe Sheldon has a copy... Wink
Sheldon Hall

According to the Internet Movie Database (imdb.com), there are several films called "El Alamein" (or "El Alamain"), none of which I've seen or heard of, including the two Rich mentions. There's a second Italian one, made in 2002, which receives some favourable comment on the site and which is available on DVD. There is also the 1943 documentary "Desert Victory", available on DVD along with its companion pieces "Burma Victory" and "Tunisian Victory".
Rich

Thx for the update Sheldon. Being a war film & history buff I may check out those "victory" dvds. In the meantime, I'm going to fire up "World at War" and hear Olivier speak about his countryman, Montgomery of Alamein. I think Monty liked that title.
leightarrant

Please also add the great underrated film OPERATION DAYBREAK to the list of re-visits one should do in the golden age of DVD's and beyond. Although you'll struggle to find a copy. That last scene in the crypt, is chilling to say the least!

SINK THE BISMARK is a great film and will always run through the heart of our grandfathers and fathers, because it depicts the saddened and unexpected loss of our greatest war ship at that time, HMS HOOD. My father always used to tell me about the reaction it had on everyone when the news broke. (as big as the TITANIC loss.)
Rich

Leigh...OD is one of those big ones on my list to get...
And you're so right on STB. For me, it's a great film which tries to recreate those days of fear and foreboding for Britain and the Allies if the Bismarck broke out into the Atlantic. Then when the Hood goes.... I can only imagine what went on in the Royal Navy offices. Closest thing we come to now is seeing the film. Just one thing, any survivors left from the Hood or are they all gone?
leightarrant

Rich - Officially according to new records, 1415 men died that evening when the HOOD got blown up and sunk, and officially to date only 3 survivors were rescued.....a sad sad night for the British fleet.
leightarrant

Rich - Apparantly Ted Briggs is the sole survivor living today....
Rich

leigh..God bless Mr. Briggs and my respects to all who died on the Hood.
Alan
Site Admin

The sequence in the bar at the end of 'Ice Cold in Alex' was used in a Carlsberg TV advert a few years back.