Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Studies in The Anglo-Zulu War
AMB

Dear All,

I note that the RRW Shop has Keith's new book:
Keith I Smith
"Keith Smith follows a similar format as his previous book 'Select Documents'. Published by D.P. & G. Military Publishers, Doncaster, United Kingdom; Hardback, 387 pp, 16 colour photographs taken in South Africa, 12 specially commissioned maps, publication date 1 January 2008."
This book is being sold for �35.

Whilst Keith did mention this book to us last year, I have heard nothing since. Has anyone got a copy? How is it?

I thought his 'Documents' book first rate, so expect much of the same quality! Oddly, whilst the 'Documents' book had flyers, etc, this one seems to have come on to the market very quietly.

AMB
Keith Smith

Andrew

Sadly this book has been plagued by production problems, which have not been helped by the fact that the author and publisher are half a world apart. I apologise to any contributors who have stumped up and not yet received the product. Hopefully, matters will be set right in a short while so please be patient.

KIS
AMB

Keith,

Many thanks for your last. Any idea when the problems will be resolved? Do you have a revised publication date?

Regards,

AMB
Keith Smith

Andrew

It could be another few weeks. I'm afraid. The pre-production book is not in good shape and the first batch of books may suffer from pagination problems. We are working to resolve matters but I fear that finance may win out over product pride.

KIS
AMB

Keith,

Going by your 'Selected Documents', I have ordered a copy anyway from the RRW shop - so you've made at least one sale.

As I expect only to read my library when I retire (18+ yrs!), there is no need to rush! [Although I would suggest that quality is important, as I tend to move every two years, so it needs to last]

AMB
Keith Smith

Andrew

Have no fear about the workmanship of the binding, something at which DP & G excel. The problems are with the book's format and I hope that they can be resolved soon.

KIS
AMB

Keith,

I'll await the final product with [as usual] keen interest!

Regards,

AMB
Rich

AMB...same here...and don't worry Keith gets sales here in North America... Wink ....

and Keith if you're here I see Australia has done the right thing with its native peoples....long time coming...
Keith Smith

Rich

And so say all (or most) of us!

KIS
AMB

Keith,

My copy of your latest arrived today from the RRW Museum (Martin & Team - thank you, as ever, great service). Greatly looking fwd to reading it.

AMB

P.S. You were quite correct, the binding is spot on and (as long as I/the Packers pack carefully) more than up to my constant moving about Europe!
Keith Smith

Andrew

Thanks for that - I hope that you are not too disappointed with the internal presentation.

KIS
AMB

Keith,

I suspect that the internal presentation is not quite as you'd have liked, but it's not a show stopper.

AMB
mike snook 2

G'day Keith

What's the scope/span/subject/idea of this latest offering?

Regards

Mike
Keith Smith

Mike S.

Extract from the Intrduction:

"In two previous works, I have shared with the interested reader many of the primary documents which I have examined as part of my study of the war. These, together with many others, were the material which underpins the papers printed here. At the risk of bringing on a severe attack of ennui, they are all cited in the end-notes found at the conclusion of each chapter.
Like these earlier works, this is not a book for those who want to learn the elementary facts of the Zulu war. Better, perhaps, to read one or more of the general works which give an outline of the war, before coming here. It is, therefore, a book for those who have already read something about it and who have then asked themselves some of the same questions that I asked myself. Perhaps the papers which follow will answer just one or two of them."

I hope this may stimulate you into taking a look.

KIS
AMB

Colonel Mike,

Well worth adding to your library shelf.....

AMB