rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Pocket Watch And Chain
Coll

Finally obtained a decent pocket watch and chain, not, however, an antique in any way, or even 19th Century, but very good.

Does this count as a start to my Col. D. uniform ? Wink

Coll
AMB

Coll,

It is the beginning...!

AMB
Dawn

Funny enough, I've just written an historical fiction novel where a pocket watch features very predominantly, set in 1863 so a little way off from 1879 but interesting all the same.

Well done on starting your collection, Coll, let us know when it is complete (and photo posted!)

Dawn
AMB

Come on, Dawn, when and where is your book going to be published?

AMB
Dawn

Which one - got three on the go at the moment!

Dawn
AMB

Three?! Blimey, you'll be giving Dan Brown a run for the listings!

Any publication dates?

AMB
Dawn

Dan Brown? I wish!

No publication dates. That's the hard part. Writing the book is easy, getting it published is hard.

My Zulu War book is with a literary agent at the moment and we have agreed on some changes so it will be a bit longer before it's at presentation stage.

Long way to go yet!

Dawn
(The one with the pocket watch is about the shipwreck of the HMS Orpheus off the west coast of NZ in 1863)
AMB

I hope your agent is also getting the films rights squared away. The Oscars need some 'colonial' period dramas!

AMB
Dawn

To say nothing of an historically correct portrayal of the Zulu War!

We can't remake Zulu Dawn but we could make an improved version...I'm still in talks with Peter Jackson (just joking!)

Dawn
Dawn

Sorry, Coll, we've hijacked your thread Very Happy

Dawn
Coll

Dawn

No problem. Wink

When I started reading your first post, I thought it might have been a sort of detective story ' The Mystery Of Col. Durnford's Missing Pocket Watch ' Very Happy. Sounds like a Sherlock Holmes book I'm thinking of ! Very Happy

Col. D's uniform will take a long, long time, to acquire, unless a nice lottery win turns up. I had the idea of constructing a prototype of it, not the right materials, etc., to get an idea of its appearance, replacing each poor quality item, as I purchase the 'real deal'.

Pity I don't know anyone that can piece and sew together a reasonable representation, to at least feel I'm getting somewhere with it.

Coll
Now, which type of pocket watch?
Kiwi Sapper

Location: Middle Earth & Home of Narnia; (Auckland, New Zealand)
I note that a start has been made on a suitable pocket watch and and as I am about to select a pocket watch as well, I would appreciate opinions as to what type would have been owned and used at the time. Would it be the "Gold Hunter type" with an opening face protective cover plate? Or would it have been a more simple variety, say silver with simple roman numerals with no covering face plate? Or .......

Secondly, I note that the uniform trousers I recently obtained has what is described as a "fob pocket for a watch". Would a private of that period have had a pocket watch, as I would imagine them to have been expensive?

It was a confusion of ideas between him and one of the lions he was hunting in Kenya that had caused A. B. Spottsworth to make the obituary column. He thought the lion was dead, and the lion thought it wasn't.
Harold Raugh

I just stumbled today over information on this book, which may be of interest:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

"A large detailed reference book cataloguing the wide variety of chronometers, deck watches, pocket watches, wristwatches and clocks used by the British Army, Navy and Air Force in the 19th and 20th century. There are also chapters on watches used by Commonwealth and French Forces as well as Japan.

Konrad Knirim came to fame when he produced his book on German Military Timepieces in 2002 (Vol I), which established him as the foremost authority.

Now new: Vol II: British Military Timepieces describes all British Military Timepieces:

- the precision pendulum clocks of the Royal Observatory
- the chronometers of the Royal Navy
- RN ship's and other wall clocks RAF mantle clocks and instrument timers
- aircraft clocks and aircrew watches from the RFC, the RNAS and the RAF
- chronometer watches and deck watches of the Royal Navy and the Royal Air Force
- pocket watches and timers of all three services
- wrist watches, chronographs and diver's watches until today
- the appendix contains Japanese, Australian, US, French and Canadian timepieces.
British Military Timepieces contains 800 pages and describes over 1200 timepieces with excellent supporting photographs throughout.

It is bi-lingual with each page having two texts; English to the left and German to the right.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Autor: Konrad Knirim
Pages: 800
Language: English/German
ISBN 978-3-89355-260-3"

Von �http://watch-wiki.de/index.php?title=British_Military_Timepieces/en�

Cheers,
Harold
Pocket Watch And Chain