rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Zulu cast
tom

Hi everyone,
here's a photo you don't see very often.
The South African Army extras in their normal uniforms.
I understand a copy was given to each one.

Sheldon Hall

Interesting... I'd not seen this pic before. Note Larry Taylor (seated second from left in the front row), wearing full uniform despite the fact that in the film (as hospital patient Hughes) he's only seen with his tunic off and in a neck brace!
Sheldon Hall

P.S. Spot the absentee British actors who were on location in SA, but not for the whole shoot (and presumably not on the day this shot was taken)...
Martin Everett

The position of the legs in the front row is a bit idle. Obviously, Nigel Green was not able to grip them.

Last edited by Martin Everett on Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

AMB

Officers?!........

AMB
leightarrant

Where's Jack and Ulla ?? Lunching maybe. Obviously the Twikenham crew
are absent (James Booth, Patrick Macnee etc) but why is Larry Taylor in this shot?? Did he
do any external shots? Maybe he was supposed to but didn't get into the final cut.
Sheldon Hall

Hawkins and Jacobsson were only on location for a short time (and wouldn't have been appropriate to this line-up anyway). Taylor did actually do some location shots (e.g., when the patients escape from the hospital window - "Hooky! Where's Hooky?", etc) and, as a stuntman, helped out with stunt arranging. He told me that he wasn't supposed to be on the location shoot, as his part could easily have been filmed entirely in the studio, but that Stanley Baker, an old friend, "worked a little one for me..."
leightarrant

The person standing next to Nigel Green, wasn't he the bugler? I only remember seeing him in the one shot towards the end of the film...
(Spit boy, Spit!)...a very small part for sure...
Mel

Leigh,

You asked if Larry did any external shots?

"Colour Sergeant Bourne, what's that shooting?"

"A rifle, Hughes"

I sentence you to watch "Zulu" once again. For the 70th time perhaps? Smile

Not a bad sentence..........I last watched it whilst i was on holiday in
Spain. Perhaps I should read Sheldons book again for the 4th time!!
Sheldon Hall

I think the actor beside Nigel Green is David Kernan (Hitch). The bugler was, I think, played by one of the SA soldiers. Can't spot him in the lineup, though.
please where is ronald hill , the bugler
usnavymom

it is so doing my head in ...i canot find anything about the young bugler Ronald Hill from zulu....its like he fell off the face of the earth......
can someone please tell me where he is or what happened to him ...
Sawubona

The game's afoot! Although it isn't listed in his personal bio at IMDB, several sites mention Ronald Hill as having been "Cpl. Woods" in the 1963 "Red Runs the River", an American Civil War movie filmed in North Carolina. IMDB DOES list him in its extended credits for that movie as do several other similar sites. Was he an American who somehow got into the British movie "ZULU" which was being filmed in SA or a Brit who somehow got into an American movie which was being filmed in our own South?

Anyone care to guess his true age in ZULU? I realize Chard asked him that same question and didn't get an answer, but maybe someone else did. My own ability to accurately guess ages is abysmal. I did come across a "Dr. Ronald Hill" teaching an acting seminar over here in The States a bit ago and that fellow was credited as some 70 years old. Hmm, sounds about the right age and vocation... Coincidence? Perhaps not!

I'm equally curious as to your interest, USNM, but that's none of my business.
Sawubona

Could someone else please post the similar cast photo taken with the extras in their "proper" uniforms on this thread. I think it would be fun to have both here together. I've got it, but just don't know how to post JPG's here. I'm certain someone else has it also and can do the voodoo as well.
Sheldon Hall

I would guess that there are at least two and possibly three different "Ronald Hill"s here. It's not an unusual name and if one actor was British and another American they would be members of different branches of Equity and therefore one would not have been obliged to change his professional name - as the young "Michael Scott" had to do to avoid a name clash with another member of British Equity (he chose "Caine" instead).
Zulu cast