rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
The Victoria Cross Bibliography
Coll

To study the medal itself and the aspects involved in the awarding of it, etc., I've decided to opt for this title -

The Victoria Cross Bibliography.
by John Mulholland and Alan Jordan.

Apparently, it is a handy reference that gives details of the many books about the award.

Coll
Martin Everett

Coll,

There is 'The Evolution of the Victoria Cross' by M J Crook. Well worth trying for as a secondhand copy is 'British Gallantry Awards' by JMA Tamplin and PE Abbott. I have always considered the VC as a decoration not a medal, as it is senior to all other British Orders of Chivalry.

Coll

Martin

Thanks for the book suggestions.

Coll
ANDY LEE

Hi Coll

The Victoria Cross Bibliography is a really good book.

The Number one VC book in my opinion is 'Monument to Courage' by the late great David Harvey. It deals in the main with listing details of each VC receipant but the first chapters deal with the study of the medal itself and the aspects involved in the awarding of it. A first class book well worth paying the cost.

Andy

Coll

Andy

Thanks for the information.

Coll
Peter Young

Coll,

I have got two interesting books on the subject of the Victoria Cross.

The first, Symbol of Courage by Max Arthur is a handy reference book with an interesting glossary of military ranks, orders and decorations. Additionally it has a complete list of recipients and the date on which each award was published in the London Gazette, which is sometimes questioned.

The second is a wonderful old book, Britain's Roll of Glory by D.H. Parry published in 1895 which i was lucky to pick up at a book sale for not very much money, the story of how each award was earned is written in a much more gripping style, and interestingly has a lengthy chapter on "the dash with the colour" by Melvill and Coghill, stating that "The London Gazette announced that the Cross of would have been theirs; now a cross of granite marks their last resting-place..." twelve years before the posthumous awards.

Hopefully this whets your appetite for further reading.

Regards,

Peter
Coll

Peter

Thanks for the information.

Coll
The Victoria Cross Bibliography