rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Zulu Wins !
Sapper Mason

Very Happy ,
Dear Forum , i hope the current bad weather passes you by one & all , and apologies in advance for any grammatical errors on this piece ! .

I thought you might be interested in the following item taken from the April edition of " Military Machines International "

" How do you really find out which is the best war film ever made ?. Forget asking a film critic , go straight to those who should know. A survey conducted by British Forces Broadcasting Service Television ( BFBS ) has shown that the most popular war film of all time amongst the British Forces worldwide is the 1964 classic " Zulu " .

These results illustrate that the British Forces have a very different idea as to what makes a GREAT war film in comparison with the general public. When the British people voted for Channel 4`s 100 Greatest War Films in 2005 , " Zulu " was only voted 8th. Similarly , The Cruel Sea ( 1952 ) was placed 41st by the general public but was ranked 7th by the British Forces.

It`s a tribute to " Zulu`s " iconic status that the vast majority of those serving on the frontline in Afghanistan today were not even born when it was made. " Saving Private Ryan " ( 1998 ) and " A Bridge Too far " ( 1977 ) were ranked second and third respectively.

General Sir Mike Jackson , ( former Chief of the General Staff ) , was torn between " " A Bridge Too Far ", " The Longest Day " , and " Saving Private Ryan ". Whilst the First Sea Lord , Admiral Sir Jonathan Band , chose " Tora Tora Tora " which dindn`t make it into the Top 20. BFBS TV will be showing the top three films on consecutive nights from Feb 1st " . Wink Smile Wink
John Young

Graham,

See Alan's posting of 2nd February 2008 entitled The Forces' Sweetheart we've already been down this route.

I'll let Age Concern know about your problem!

In jest,

JY

Last edited by John Young on Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Thanks .
Sapper Mason

Embarassed
Thanks for this John , the article was new to me hence the inclusion by me of it , ( hows me grammar on this one ? " SAPPER " Wink Wink Wink
gRAMMER !
Sapper Mason

Rolling Eyes ,
JOHN , JUST A GENTILE PROD HERE , AHEM " WE ALREADY BEEN DOWN THIS ROUTE " , " Sapper " Wink
John Young

Graham,

Keep trying! Just making sure you're awake btw.

JY
Zulu Wins !