rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Alone Among the Zulus
Peter Ewart

For some while I've possessed a beautiful little copy of Alone Among the Zulus (SPCK, London 1866) although mine is not a first edition, probably the 1879 edition or possibly even later. The book chronicles the writer's travels in Mpande's Zululand in 1855, authorship always being described in the book simply as "By A Plain Woman", although she has always been identified (although I'm not sure how) as Catherine Barter, occasionally Charlotte Barter. It underwent a re-publication by the the Killie Campbell Africana Library in 1995, again under the same authorship and identification.

The title has fairly recently been reprinted by DP&G and has appeared in their last few lists, as well as among the book list/reviews on this site, plus the RRW Museum bookshop details. Not one of these, however, gives the author as she has been recorded for a century and a half! Between them (I realise the DP&G/RDVC/RRW lists may be sharing the same details) they give the author variously as Lady Barker, Lady Basker and Lady C. Barker!!! Anyone have any idea why?

The only Lady Barker that I'm aware of who wrote about that part of the world was the Lady (Mary Ann) Barker who was author of Letters from South Africa (1877), about life in Natal as the wife of her colonial official husband. She was really Lady Broome by then (sometimes Barker Broome) after being widowed and remarried, and a stepson served, I believe, in the AZW. She also wrote from other parts of the empire, including from Down Under.

Has anyone purchased this DP&G reprint? Does the book actually contain the author's name as advertised and indicated above, or is it just a misprint in the DP&G, RDVC and RRW lists? Or has some recent research altered our knowledge of the author's name? I meant to ask this question a month or so ago but the receipt of another list has just reminded me.

All clues gratefully received!

Peter
John Young

Peter,

Some years ago I had an 1879 reprint of Alone Among the Zulus, obviously the events of that year had caused a stir of interest in the subject. I didn't keep the item but I'm certain the author was then given as Catherine Barter - formerly given as 'A Plain Woman'.

I always assumed that she was one of PMB Barters, the sister of Charles, of Bushman's Pass infamy.

I saw the DP&G listing and just passed it off as another typo.

I have got Lady Barker's details in my 1874 copy of Dod's. I can't find an ennobled Broome for that year, nor any son and heir who might fit the bill on the 1877-8-9 Medal Roll.

John Y.
John Young

Peter,

I've located the Broome in the cupboard... enough mirth & humour!

Frederick Napier Broome (1842-1896), his claim to fame as far as the Anglo-Zulu War is concerned was that it was on his authority that troops (one company of the 88th & a half battery of three 7-pounder cannon of 10th Battery/7th Brigade Royal Artillery) were dispatched from Mauritius, where he was Colonial Secretary, on 1st March 1879 for operations in South Africa.

See his entry on http://www.adb.online.anu.edu.au/biogs/A030230b.htm

For her part in the war effort see her entry on http://www.adb.online.anu.edu.au/biogs/A030231b.htm

Her son was Lieutenant Walter George Crole Wyndham, of the 21st Hussars, who served with the 1st (King's) Dragoon Guards, and subsequently with Baker Russell's Flying Column.

John Y.
Keith Smith

Peter

As John says, the book was penned by Catherine Barter, the sister of Charles Barter. The latter was Resident Magistrate at Inanda during the Zulu War.

My own copy is published by Natal University Press (as it was then) and has quite a good biography of both of them, although it is presently packed in a box.

KIS
Alan
Site Admin

I've just spoken to DP&G books.
The version they copied from was published in 1880 and is attributed to being 'By a Plain Lady" on behalf of the Society for Promoting Christian Knowlege.
DP&G think that a name was put to the listing because of a hand-written name on an inside page, which could have been mis-read.

John, Keith & Alan

Many thanks. It seems that DP&G have erred. Easily done, although it does appear a bit cavalier to advertise something under an author's name supposedly handwritten on an inside page, when the identity of the nom-de-plume has been known openly for many years. Perhaps the copy they used was Lady Barker's - now there would be a nice, collectable "association copy"!

I had never linked Catherine and Charles as brother and sister, so thanks for that. She obviously writes about her brother, the travelling companion, in the book, but doesn't mention any names, let alone her own. They travelled out to Natal from England in c1854, although her brother had been there before her I think. As you say, John, the events of 1879 clearly led her publishers to consider the time was ripe for a reprint.

Yes, Lady Barker is easier to pin down. (I should have said son instead of stepson for Wyndham, as he was a product of her first marriage, not of Broome's).

Peter
Alone Among the Zulus