rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Revisiting an Isandhlwana Poem
Michael Boyle

I just received an e-mail relating to an old posting -

( http://www.rorkesdriftvc.com/discussion.php?topid=10164&forid=1 )

"Michael,
I chanced upon your name and the http://www.rorkesdriftvc.com website when i was doing a google search today. In particular this post from January 2005:

The idea I was alluding to in the previous topic was to solicit blanket permission from the http://au.geocities.com/frankenrhymer/ website to allow his poem"Isandhlwana" to be submitted in an editorial barrage to various newspapers with the idea that it would make the best focal point available to elicit interest. (Simple requests with no central focus being less likely to be picked up for publication.) His 'Kipling-esque' approach to verse being both accessible and emotionally compelling (to me at least) enough to perhaps reach ink. However I have been thus far unsuccessful in receiving a reply. As noted previously when I posted the poem in a reply to the 'Hard to imagine..' topic on 8 Jan. the site contains no copyright notices and attests it's purpose as "bringing good poetry to the masses" so I would think they would have little reservation to publication in newspapers provided Frank Dodsworth receives full credit and a link to his web site is provided.(It's only had 626 hits since it started sometime prior to Dec.2003 and many of them are mine.)(Pity because his poems cover such a wide range and seem so interesting.)(Not like reading poetry at all!)

Frank Dodsworth was my father (he passed away a few years ago) and i put together his poetry website. I know its probably too late to be useful to you but i know dad would have been more than happy for you to use his poem. If you still want to use it i cant see our family having any objections as long as his name is included with the poem as the author.
"Isandhlwana" was something he was always proud of and he would have loved the idea of others getting enjoyment out of it.

Regards,
Sean Dodsworth"

A visit to the Frankenrymer site is highly recommended, not only for the above mentioned poem but the whole of Frank Dodsworth's work. Whenever I feel the need to distance myself from day-to-day frustrations and in desperate need of diversion this site fits the bill. The poems there never fail to put a smile on my face and a thought in my mind. What more can one ask for!

Should anyone feel inclined to share Mr. Dodsworth work, please credit both he and Sean as well as including a link to his site. To my mind they are both a credit to Australia.

Best

Michael
Revisiting an Isandhlwana Poem